Career

Celebrate Homecoming with Katherinne Solange

Katherinne Solange is a 22-year-old FSU international student from the beautiful country of Nicaragua. We had the honor of interviewing Katherinne about her experience as head of FSU Homecoming Production, but that’s not all! We also asked her about her major and career goals, her home country, and for a few tips for all International students.

Her Campus (HC): What is your favorite thing about being an international student?

Katherinne Solange (KS): Being an international student allows me to become an ambassador of my country by teaching about my culture and the Hispanic/ Latin community. Moreover, I love to be surrounded by people from different backgrounds and learn more about my host country. I believe that by surrounding myself with people who are different than me, the more I learn about the world. 

HC: What city in Nicaragua do you live in and how long did you live there? 

KS: I am from the capital city of Managua, Nicaragua. I lived there for 17 years, and then I lived in Toronto, Canada for one year, 2 years in Miami, Florida, and I am currently living in Tallahassee.

HC: What do you miss the most there?

KS: I miss my parents, my sister, my friends, the Nicaraguan food, the fresh vegetables and fruits, the coffee, my tradition and culture, the stunning sunsets at the beach, the starry nights, the volcanoes and lakes, and the beautiful colonial cities. I miss everything in Nicaragua!

HC: Why did you transfer to FSU? What do you like most about it?

KS: I transferred to FSU because I believe that at FSU I am getting the techniques and skills that I need to achieve my goals. Also, the university offers scholarship programs and a multicultural environment that are crucial for me as an International Student. What I love most about FSU are the different leadership, engagement and development programs, as well as the organizations and clubs that you can get involved in on campus. I also love FSU’s spirit, the good friends I’ve made and my incredible professors.

HC: Why did you go for the Homecoming Production Chair position?

KS: As a Digital Media Production major with a minor in film, being the production chair will help me develop my video production skills, get professional experience and build my portfolio. I also love creating and editing videos, writing scripts and stage design, and this position is giving me the opportunity to do those. 

HC: What do you do as the homecoming production chair? How did you feel when you got the position?

KS: As the production chair, I am in charge of the stage design, scripts, organizing and creating videos for Pow Wow and other Homecoming events. I also served as liaison to Seminole Productions and participate in the filming process. When I got the position, I was so excited about being part of my favorite tradition at FSU. 

HC: What are the homecoming events you are excited about and recommend to other students?

KS: I am so excited for Pow Wow, the event will take place at the Tucker Civic center on Oct. 25 at 8 p.m. I recommend that students go to this event! It is an annual evening of entertainment and laughs, and it’s the largest pep rally at FSU. This year we will have a pre-show, amazing students’ performances and the greatest comedian, of course. This is definitely a night that you will enjoy with your friends while celebrating Seminole pride. 

HC: What is your favorite part of FSU homecoming?

KS: School Spirit! Go Noles!HC: What are your future dreams and goals?

KS: I have a dream to represent my country and the Latin Community in the film and TV industries. To be a renowned filmmaker and actress is my biggest goal.  I want to change Latin stereotypes in movies and create new and fresh stories that contribute to society. I want to be the voice of the people who do not have the freedom to speak. Furthermore, I want to make informative, honest and interesting stories that tell the perspective of everyone involved.

HC: Lastly, do you have any advice for other international students?

KS: Don’t forget your I-20!, if you don’t want to be stuck in the immigration room for 3 hours! Research about scholarships for international students, don’t fail a class ( remember that is out-state tuition). Get the right information about CPT, OPT, and H1Bs. Check out studentuniverse.com to get cheap flights. Be open-minded and patient. Join a sports team, organization or club to get involved in your area and to meet people.

All Images courtesy of Katherinne Solange.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Greetings, I was a Her Campus Writer at FSU. I majored digital media production and I am originally from West Palm Beach, Florida. I love reading, drawing, and bingeing tv shows on Hulu and Netflix.