Celebrate Halloween With These Spooky Games

One of the most revered activities on campus during the spooky season is “Talloween,” one of Tallahassee’s busiest weekends. We have students traveling from all over the country to engage in Tallahassee’s Halloween events, but there is more to “Talloween.”

There are many fun things to do even when you’re not participating. Ever since coming to FSU, I have gone out of town for Talloween weekend, leaving me feeling like I am missing a big part of the season. If you are in a similar boat, I can promise you that there are so many other activities and events to be a part of. Even if you can’t take part in any campus events, you can plan your own things to do! Whether you’re not into Talloween at all or if you just want a break from the festivities, there’s something in this list for everyone to do!

pumpkin carving contest

For all my fellow competition-loving girlies, this is sure to be a hit among your friend group. Imagine it! You and all of your friends go out onto Landis Green and carve out your pumpkins for the best prize of all: bragging rights.

You can have certain rules and regulations too to make the competition even better. For example, everyone has to carve out the best Steve Harvey or The Starry Night. You can even make it harder by making a rule that you can only use a fork or butter knife to do your carving. This is a special event that will be marked in the history books (and I’m secretly cheering for you to win)!

Horror Movie Bingo

What’s Halloween without a good old-fashioned horror movie? I am one of the easiest people to scare, so watching horror movies with friends makes a lot of the scarier parts of the movies extremely funny. My friends and I recently watched Scream VI, and it was absolutely hilarious, especially during the moments when Ghostface is/are (no spoilers!) revealed.

But what shall you put in each of your spooky squares? Here are some ideas!

• Killer comes back to life
  • Characters split up
  • Mommy/daddy issues
  • Jumpscares!
  • Character says a speech instead of escaping
  • The police do absolutely nothing
  • Love interest dies

Be sure to make some of your squares easier than others to ensure that at least one person can win the game. If you look up “horror movie bingo ideas,” there are a bunch of different ideas for this game online for more inspiration!

Speed mummy wrapping

This idea only requires two things: toilet paper and a person willing to be covered in toilet paper. The rules are simple: split into groups and set a timer for 30 seconds, each group has one roll of toilet paper and needs to wrap their designated mummy completely. But the competition doesn’t stop there! There’s another factor: realism.

Once each group has their mummy, they must act out a scene from a horror movie, even if it doesn’t involve a mummy — the funnier the better! Whoever has the best scene wins. This aspect makes it anyone’s game, so even if your mummy isn’t completely covered, you can still get points for your perfectly crafted scene.

Halloween charades or Pictionary

If you don’t have much of a budget for your Halloween game night, these games are perfect! Charades and Pictionary are both great games for bonding, especially when they’re Halloween-themed. You can have themes ranging from horror movie characters to tropes to different popular candies.

potion/grub tasting

The last game is for our foodie crowd: potion tasting! Each person brings a set number of drinks or food, based on the number of people that will be at your game night, with a Halloween theme. This could be blood bags made of Jell-O or Powerade, ghost marshmallows, or intestines made of spaghetti for a gorier route. The possibilities are endless!

There are countless routes to go with your game night to make it fun for everyone! Feel free to put all of these ideas together for the ultimate Halloween game night!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Reese Hrannarsson is a staff writer at the Her Campus at Florida State University chapter. She writes bi-weekly articles surrounding personal, culture, and campus topics. Beyond Her Campus, Reese is the Director of Finance for Florida State University's Women Student Union and the Secretary for the Women In Government club. She is a sophomore majoring in Political Science and Economics and is interested in working in government. In her free time, Reese enjoys going biking and spending time with family and friends. She also loves travelling and hopes to travel to every U.S. capital.