In honor of Black History Month, most video streaming platforms have a category dedicated to noteworthy black cinema; however, I noticed a striking similarity between these lists. Almost all of them focus on black trauma and the suffering of black people throughout history.

First and foremost, I want to solidify the importance of recognizing the struggles of the people that came before me and paved the way for the privileges I have today. However, while slavery and segregation are a substantial piece of American history, trauma movies are not the only way to represent black people in film. I want us to celebrate and encourage black joy year-round. Here are (in no particular order) five of my favorite movies to help us do so: 

1. “Roll Bounce” (2005)

turned on LED movie projector
Photo by Alex Litvin from Unsplash

If you were lucky enough to be on roller skating TikTok at the beginning of lockdown, then this movie will not disappoint you. Trust me. Back in 2005, every aspect of this movie amazed my kindergarten self. Cruise with Xavier (Bow Wow) and his crew as they navigate the world of roller skating in Chicago, a hotspot for the activity. For Xavier, roller skating is a way to express his emotions as he copes with the loss of his mother. This beautiful coming-of-age story emphasizes the importance of friendship, family and doing what you love. 

2. “Black Panther” (2018) 

Black Panther theater photo
Photo by Conner Baker from Unsplash

It would be a huge disservice to leave out one of the most iconic pieces of black cinema in the 21st century. Director Ryan Coogler wowed audiences with this epic celebration of African culture. Black Panther follows the titular character’s journey to fully embracing his role as both king and superhero. The star-studded cast consists of the late Chadwick Boseman, Lupita N’yongo, Danai Gurira and Michael B. Jordan, to name a few. Boseman’s performance allowed viewers like me to feel seen and heard in a genre that notoriously excludes us from the narrative. As a huge Marvel fan, I cannot express the joy I felt upon finally seeing a cast that looks like me. 

3. “Girls Trip” (2017)

New Orleans French Quarter
Photo by Rosie Kerr from Unsplash

As we hunker down and do our part to stop the spread of COVID-19, traveling is definitely something we are all longing for right now. Luckily, this film allows us to live vicariously through a hilarious girl squad. Follow along with Ryan Pierce (Regina Hall), Sasha Franklin (Queen Latifah), Lisa Cooper (Jada Pinkett Smith) and Dina (Tiffany Haddish) as they reunite for a girls’ getaway in New Orleans to attend the Essence Festival, a celebration of the famous magazine. It is rare to see four Black women simply enjoying themselves onscreen, so this comedy makes my heart extremely happy. I cannot recommend it enough! 

4. “Coming to America” (1988)

hands holding globe
Photo by Nicole De Khors from Burst / Shopify
Watch out Bridgerton, this is the original royal love story! Romantic comedies with black leads are in short supply, so this film holds a special place in my heart. This witty fish-out-of-water approach shows one man’s journey of navigating a new country and everything that comes along with it. With his 21st birthday on the horizon, African Prince Akeem (Eddie Murphy) leaves his home country behind to escape an impending arranged marriage. Instead, he believes that he can find a wife in Queens, New York. Of course, he must hide his royal identity to find true love and hilarity ensues. 

5. “Homecoming” (2019)

Beyonce magazine near tea on teacup
Photo by Emily Bauman from Unsplash

This addition should come as no surprise. Homecoming follows Beyoncé and the intense preparation behind her headlining Coachella performance, later deemed “Beychella” (for good reason). There is no denying the impact of Queen Bey’s performance. She uplifted the iconic atmosphere of a historically black college or university (HBCU) homecoming and put it on display for a global audience. Not only does she pour her heart and soul into each musical number, but she makes sure to give credit where credit is due by featuring authentic marching band members and majorettes. Just three years ago, Beyoncé made history as the first black woman to headline the iconic musical festival, which is something we must celebrate and remember forever. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

A senior at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Media Communication Studies with a minor in English.
Her Campus at Florida State University.