Cassie Roby: FSU Feature Twirler and Mechanical Engineer

Cassie Roby is one of the Feature Twirlers for the Florida State University Marching Chiefs. If twirling in front of 80,000 fans each weekend wasn’t stressful enough, she is also a junior Mechanical Engineering major and a teacher’s assistant for a Thermodynamics course. Cassie is also a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma and an enthusiastic milk addict. Dedicated, passionate and hard-working; it has been a pleasure getting the opportunity to interview Cassie and catch a glimpse of her busy life!

Her Campus (HC): What is a feature twirler?

Cassie Roby (CR): A feature twirler is someone who has outstanding twirling skills and is chosen to represent the university and the marching band separate from the majorette line. Only one to three twirlers are selected for this position each football season.

HC: What drew you to baton twirling?

CR: My fifth-grade teacher used to bring her old batons to recess and that’s when I was originally introduced to the idea of baton twirling. I went home and told my mom and dad about it and they were extremely encouraging and entered me in my first competition. I absolutely loved it and the rest is history.

HC: What is your favorite game day tradition?

CR: I absolutely love leading the World Renowned Marching Chiefs out onto the field for pregame. The adrenaline that courses throughout my body when 83,000 fans are screaming and Dave Westberry announces my name is unforgettable. I have so much passion for this band and have truly found a family inside of it.

HC: How has Marching Chiefs helped shape you as a person as you move into your senior year?

CR: The Marching Chiefs have had a major part in shaping the person I am today. Because of the Chiefs, I feel so much more empowered, dedicated and outgoing than I was as a freshman coming into college. The Marching Chiefs organization has over 400 playing members every year, each of whom has supported me and encouraged me to get to where I am now. Moving into senior year, I feel more confident than ever to be an integral part of the organization that made me who I am today. 

HC: Is there anything you would want people to know about baton twirling?

CR: I would like people to know… Yes, I have hit myself with the baton. Yes, twirling fire baton is hot and yes, I have burned myself. And, yes, it is a sport.

Courtesy: Tom Burr

HC: How do you handle the stress of being both a feature twirler and a mechanical engineer?

CR: I study A LOT. I am also an extremely organized person who likes routine. Every day, I go to class/labs, then I go practice, then I go to the gym. After the gym I come home and spend three to four hours working on homework. My roommates, teammates, sisters and family are also extremely supportive and always push me to be my best on the field and in the classroom.

HC: What is it like being a woman in mechanical engineering?

CR: Being a woman in mechanical engineering can be tough. With the stereotypical mechanical engineer being a man and with women already being a minority in the STEM field, most people are left speechless when I tell them my major. Spending almost eight hours a day in a room filled with mostly men can be intimidating, but through hard work, they have grown to respect me as their peer. Being a woman in a male-dominated field is special because I have grown close to so many of my peers, it’s as if I have 20 protective brothers watching over me. Personally, I pride myself in continuing to push forward in this field and hope that I serve as an example to young girls showing that despite what society tells them, they can be successful in the STEM fields.

HC: Do you have any plans for the future?

CR: After completing my four years at Florida State University, I plan to graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. I will then pursue my master’s degree at a university on which I haven’t quite decided on yet. I plan on using this degree to work for a defense contracting company, such as Northrop Grumman who I will be able to intern for this upcoming summer. I am looking forward to what this incredible life holds for me!

HC: Any final thoughts?

CR: I want to give a shout out to my incredible band directors, David Plack and Patrick Dunnigan for being so supportive in all of my endeavors. Without their constant encouragement, kindness and acceptance, I wouldn’t be in the position I am in today. I also want to thank my coach, Karrissa Wimberly. Karrissa, you have been such a huge part of my life for so long now, I don’t know how I could have done this without you. You always push me to be my absolute best and I’m so thankful I can carry on your legacy of being the feature twirler at FSU. I also want to thank my mom and dad. This is something you saw in me at just ten years old. Thank you for pushing me to always reach for my dreams. And lastly, I want to thank FSU and The Marching Chiefs Organization. I have been so blessed with the most incredible job anyone could ever ask for in college and I wouldn’t be where I am without the generosity and support of the university and the most amazing organization. I’m Cassie Roby and I am forever grateful to be a Feature Twirler for the World Renowned Florida State University Marching Chiefs!

Courtesy: Bob Howard

Her Campus at Florida State University.