Carter Fowler: Determined to Make a Difference

Name: Carter Scott Fowler

Age: 22

Hometown: Kennesaw, GA

Major: Political Science, Economics

Relationship Status: In a Relationship

Her Campus (HC): What inspired you to pursue your major?

Carter Fowler (CF): I’ve always been very interested in the workings of government and the political process, but I recently discovered my love of economics. It’s an interesting way of looking at the world. Economics is unique in that, although no less intricate or complex than any other science, everyone seems to think they’re some level of an expert despite having very little education [on] the subject. You really have to work hard to sift through all the political haze and biases to get to the bottom of the matter.

HC: You’re really involved with Free Speech at FSU; can you tell us about what you do and why you chose to get involved?

CF: Of course! Here at FSU, we have an old, antiquated policy on our campus that designates certain locations as “free speech zones.” These zones comprise less than 1% of campus, and (get this), there is no free speech zone on the campus of our College of Law! These policies are illegal in a very straightforward sense, and, more than that, they restrict the ability of students to voice their opinions on matters in the one place that discussion and dissenting, innovative opinion should reign supreme: at an institution of higher learning. I always say, “we may not agree on everything, but one thing we all agree on is that we must be able to disagree.” Because of this, I founded the Seminole Coalition Against Student Censorship, a group of over 10 RSO’s and hundreds of students in favor of approving our entire campus as an area where students and faculty are welcome to voice their concerns about anything in a peaceful, respectful manner.

HC: How would other students get involved?

CF: Many students and organizations have gotten on board with this initiative already, including the ACLU at FSU, Chabad, and the Economics Club, among others. I’d like to especially thank Jean Tabares, our incoming student body president, for lending the hundreds of us his ear and support. If anyone would like to get involved they can like our Facebook page, “Free Speech at FSU.” For updates and information, message me on Facebook, or shoot me an email at csf11d@my.fsu.edu.

HC: You also work at The James Madison Institute; how is this job preparing you for the future?

CF:  My work at The James Madison Institute stems from a similar place as my passion for free speech on our campus; a belief that human beings have the capability of making life decisions for themselves. I work part-time at JMI as their development coordinator, meaning I manage all communications in regards to our donors and supporters around the state, among other things. JMI is a really great place, filled with people of diverse ideologies and political opinions. It’s been a terrific source of experience and learning opportunities for me, which will hopefully help me hit the ground running come graduation this summer!

HC: I hear you and your girlfriend are quite the spontaneous couple. What are some of your favorite adventures so far?

CF: Well, two little outings come to mind. Over spring break, we took a tour of North Florida’s craft breweries (a particular love of mine). We went to Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and St. Pete, hitting more than 10 breweries along the way! Also, a Valentine’s hike at Providence Canyon State Park was a really cool experience. If anyone hasn’t been, I highly recommend it, if just for the view! It’s only about two hours away from Tallahassee.

HC: What are some things that not many people know about you?

CF: When I was younger, all I wanted in the whole world was to be a teuthologist one day. That’s right; I was obsessed with giant squid. They have only one known predator, have eyes bigger than your head, and we’ve never managed to keep a live squid in captivity. Actually, I guess I still get pretty fired up about them… [laughs].

HC: What are some of your post-grad plans?

CF: I’d like to go to work at an organization that aligns with my liberty-loving views for a few years before getting a second degree. I couldn’t imagine a more ideal outcome than enrolling in the London School of Economics for my master’s, but I’d really enjoy taking my studies abroad just about anywhere in Europe.

Click here to “like” Free Speech at FSU’s Facebook page and learn more about their cause!

FSU/Senior/Editing, Writing, and Media
Her Campus at Florida State University.