Caroline Grandchamp: An Out-of-State Cutie

Name: Caroline Grandchamp

Year: Junior

Major: International Affairs and Spanish

Relationship Status: Single

Hometown: Cumberland, Maine

Activities: Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, Delta Epsilon Iota Honor Society

Courtesy: Caroline Grandchamp

Her Campus (HC): Any tips on how to survive being an FSU student that’s not from Florida? 

Caroline Grandchamp (CG): Be open to meeting people who are completely different than you are. You might meet your best friends. Some people will be really interested to hear about your home state so be prepared to answer a lot of questions about where you are from! 

HC: How did you meet people?

CG: Well through my FIG freshman year, Seminole Sensation week, by living in Kellum and of course, at the Strip!

HC: Did you like living in Kellum?

CG: No, but I did meet my best friends in Kellum and bonded over surviving the Kellum cough.

HC: Who was your favorite professor? 

CG: Professora Saavedra. I had her for SPN 3300 and she was great. Definitely one of the professors who helped me realize I wanted to major in Spanish.

HC: What benefits do you see in being far from home? 

CG: I have learned to be a lot more independent because I know I can’t call my parents to fix things for me like I could when I lived at home. For example, I can now make doctors’ appointments for myself if I need to. It is also a chance to start fresh and meet new people.

HC: Is there hardships being far from home?

CG: Being homesick in the beginning, but you get over it the first few weeks or not being able to see my siblings as much.

HC: How often do you go home?

CG: Christmas break and only summer break.

HC: Tell us a fun fact about Maine.

CG: Maine has sunsets and sunrises that are better than Florida’s. I’m not biased though.

HC: Favorite thing about FSU? 

CG: Everything? Getting to see Doak every day when I’m walking on campus. Hanging out at Westcott after nights out. Having amazing professors that have made me fall in love with my majors. Meeting my best friends.

HC: Any advice for incoming freshmen? 

CG: Sometimes it is good to be uncomfortable. When you first get here you really have to put yourself out there in order to get the most out of this experience. It gets easier to introduce yourself to new people but you have to do it!!!

HC: Favorite thing to do in tally (not counting going out)? 

CG: Walk around all the parks that are here. I love Cascades Park. Also going to Downtown Get Down. 

HC: What are three things you can’t leave the house without?

CG: My ID, Tums, my phone.

HC: Tell us the story of the weirdest night you had in Tally.

CG: I don’t know if it’s possible to have a normal night out in Tally. Every morning I wake up laughing about the previous night. I always come away with good stories on Halloween, game days and my friends’ birthdays.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

CG: Graduated from law school and working. Or traveling the world pretending like I am not actually 30 years old. Maybe a mixture of both.

HC: Favorite munchie food from Tally? 

CG: Jimmy Johns or Guthries.

HC: If you could date any guy on TV, who would it be?

CG:  Alex Karev from Grey’s Anatomy or Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights

HC: Marry, Smash, Kill: Drake, Jamie Dornan, Leonardo DiCaprio

CG: Marry Leo, Smash Jamie Dornan and, sadly, kill Drake.

If you are from Maine and want to meet a Mainer, you can most likely check out Caroline dancing out on a Friday night, studying for a Spanish exam or tanning at the pool of her apartment building!
Student at Florida State University studying Communication and Creative Writing. Addicted to iced vanilla lattes, Mike Wazowski and romantic comedies.
Her Campus at Florida State University.