“Family, Fun, and Empowering” are three words that Morale Captain Hannah LaBohn thinks of to describe Dance Marathon (DM) at Florida State University. The event takes place the first weekend of March every year, but dancers fundraise and participate in events year-round.

You may be asking, what exactly is Dance Marathon? Dance Marathon at FSU is the largest student-run organization that raises money and awareness for “children in need of specialized pediatric medical care that is otherwise not available to them locally.” DM at FSU specifically donates funds to the UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital and the FSU College of Medicine’s Pediatric Outreach Program. 

Whether it’s through fundraising pushes or miracle stories, students spread the word and awareness about what they support through both social media and their large on-campus presence. You may see students in DM gathering on Landis with fun activities to participate in or carrying a gong across campus to celebrate those who have hit fundraising goals. Every time they speak about DM, you can hear the passion that each and every one of these students has for the cause.

Hailey Goldenberg, a Leadership and Legacy Coordinator says, “I love Dance Marathon because I get to meet and work alongside so many people who all share a strong love for the cause. There is no better feeling than seeing the difference that we have made on the lives of so many families.”

Goldenberg’s favorite part of the Dance Marathon event is Circle of Hope. It’s a ceremony that takes place at the end of the marathon. Miracle families (the families of the children who have received care from the Children’s Network) cut hospital bands off of dancers, which every dancer receives at the start of the event. This is a significant part of the event because it symbolizes the dancers’ “ability to remove [their] bands and keep fighting for those who can’t.”

So, how does the event work? There are two shifts during the weekend, Garnet and Gold, both hosted at the Donald Tucker Civic Center, during which dancers pledge to remain on their feet for the whole shift. The Garnet shift is a 10-hour shift on Friday, Mar. 1, 2024, and the Gold Shift is a 20-hour shift that starts on Saturday, Mar. 2, 2024, and ends the following day. On the last day of the three-day event, everyone from both shifts comes together to watch the reveal of the long-anticipated total amount raised (which last year was over $1.3 million!).

During these shifts, there’s no shortage of things to do. Activities include (but are not limited to) silent discos, learning the line dance, dressing up for theme hours, performances from FSU student groups, a rave hour, and so much more! One of the most special parts of the marathon is hearing from the miracle kids and their families. These are the families of the children who directly benefit from the funds of Dance Marathons across the state of Florida.

In order to participate in this 30-hour event, you must register for a Donor Drive account, buy the $25 Dancer Registration ticket, and raise the minimum $250. While that may seem intimidating, DM at FSU offers so many different resources to help you hit your goal and potentially even exceed it! Leah Natkin, the Fundraising Development Chair, said, “While it may seem difficult to raise $250, DM at FSU offers support and resources such as 145 Ways to Fundraise that include creative ways for students to organically fundraise while actively engaging their friends and family. Any member of DM at FSU is always willing to lend a hand in all fundraising efforts, even if it means helping pie you in the face.” The members of DM always have each other’s backs when it comes to raising money for such an amazing cause!

Although there is still so much time until the event, there’s always some way to get involved early. Make sure to keep an eye out for the next fundraising push to help raise money for such an amazing cause. Every FSU Seminole, past, present, and future, should be proud of what this group of students aims to accomplish every year. Registration for the March event is currently open until Oct. 25. If you are looking to be a part of something bigger than yourself, then Dance Marathon is the perfect event for you to get involved in during your time here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Lauren is a Senior at Florida State University double majoring in Business Management and Marketing with a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading, traveling and spending time with her friends and family.