Life > Academics

What ‘1989’ Song You Are Based on Your FSU Major

Attention readers: 1989 (Taylor’s Version) is now out. Wherever you are, go stream it! Blare it! Scream your heart out! Even if you’re in class (actually, please don’t). 

In all seriousness, Swifties and fans of the iconic 1989 album have been waiting for this glorious day. The anticipation of the re-release has been building for several months, and it’s exciting that it’s finally here! As a longtime fan of Taylor Swift and the 1989 album, I’m included in the excitement. However, as a college student, this time of year can be a real slump. The mid-fall pre-holidays time of year is a little dreadful, so this album couldn’t have come at a better time for us college Swifties. Ever wonder what song from 1989 would be your major’s anthem? There’s no better way to push through the midterm slump than to read below and put it on full blast for the next few months. I got you, Swifties.

“Welcome To New York”: Musical Theatre

I thought about so many majors for this one! Ultimately, though, Musical Theatre won my heart over when I re-streamed this song. It clearly came to mind when I heard, “It’s a new soundtrack, I could dance to this beat / The lights are so bright, but they never blind me.” Hello?? This is definitely about Broadway; you can’t tell me otherwise. 

“Blank Space”: English (Editing, Writing, and Media) 

Not only is this plainly written in the title, but this song and the original music video give on-the-edge-of-insanity vibes (but in a cute, girl-boss way), which English majors can surely relate to after writing all those essays.

“Style”: Retail Entrepreneurship

This one was a little too perfect. No further explanations will be given.

“Out Of The Woods”: Interior Architecture and Design

This one was honestly a little tricky, but the lyrics “The night we couldn’t quite forget, when we decided / to move the furniture so we could dance” inspired me to pick this major.

“All You Had To Do Was Stay”: Psychology

This song speaks volumes with the lyrics, “People like you always want back the love they gave away / and people like me wanna believe you when you say you’ve changed.” I instantly thought of Psychology. Also, I thought of an anxious attachment style while re-reading this track title, so what’s a better major than Psych?

“Shake It Off”: Dance

Duh! Even though this song was seriously overplayed in 2014, I still love dancing to it. 

“I Wish You Would”: Communication

This is the perfect track for the Comm girlies. This song illustrates the love story between two people that disastrously ended because of their lack of communication skills. With lyrics like, “You’re thinking that I hate you now / ’cause you still don’t know what I never said” and “I wish you would come back / wish I never hung up the phone like I did / I wish you knew you knew that I’ll never forget you as long as I live,” it honestly is so tragic. 

“Bad Blood”: Criminology/Criminal Justice

Again, no explanation is needed. Fire song.

“Wildest Dreams”: Motion Picture Arts and Digital Media Production

This song is perfectly produced in every way. The original music video feels like you’re watching a movie that Swift has so perfectly created. 

“How You Get The Girl”: Elementary Education

In the sweetest, most banger, way possible, this song feels like a melody a kindergarten teacher would help me learn. I remember learning a lot of random upbeat songs in my classroom as a five-year-old to aid us in learning about science, math, etc. 

“This Love”: English (Creative Writing)

This song feels so poetic and dreamy, which is how I picture students in this major. 

“I Know Places”: International Affairs

I couldn’t trace possible major options back to anything else after hearing, “Loose lips sink ships all the damn time” and “I know places we won’t be found / and they’ll be chasing their tails trying to track us down.” It was simply too good! This song is just so mysterious, and I love it so much. 

“Clean”: Environmental Science

Last but not least, “Clean!” This song uses several nature references to paint a picture of a relationship from which the artist seemingly needs to liberate themselves. “The drought was the very worst, when the flowers that we’d grown together died of thirst,” alongside “Rain came pouring down when I was drowning, that’s when I could finally breathe.”

That’s it! Happy midterm slump and 1989 (Taylor’s Version) week!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Allysa Laufersky is a Sophomore at Florida State University. She is a Staff Writer at Her Campus FSU, and is currently majoring in Media/Communication Studies, while minoring in English. Loves dancing, "hot girl walks", music, film, anything pop-culture related, TikTok, taking photos, and being in the moment.