Whether you are an incoming freshman or a tired senior, volunteering is a useful way to fill one’s time. It improves your mood while making your world a little more beautiful. Luckily, Florida State University (FSU) is a school with a wide array of organizations and clubs that one can join in order to get more involved on campus and with the Tallahassee community. The following list is just a few that I have been fortunate enough to interact with and learn about during my time at FSU.

Animal society

If you like to focus on animals, the FSU Animal Society will probably be your new favorite organization. FSU Animal Society is a student club that hosts volunteering events at multiple shelters and locations to support Tallahassee animals. Some examples are; Greenfire Farms where you can help repair chicken coops or Goat House Farms where you can help clean the goats. To be a full-fledged member you have to pay $20 in membership dues but there are opportunities to volunteer whether you pay the dues or not.

environmental service program

If you are an environment lover then FSU Environmental Service Program (ESP) is the organization to join. FSU ESP is a student club with volunteering opportunities to beautify the area around us. For example, you can help build an elementary school garden one weekend and then do beach cleanup another weekend. All of these volunteering opportunities are free to join (meaning you do not have to pay dues).

connecting girls to stem

If your major is within STEM then get involved with FSU Connecting Girls to Stem (CGS). FSU CGS is a student club that helps young girls gain technology and leadership skills. They often have volunteering opportunities at local middle schools where they educate girls on different topics such as “Healthy Living” or “Programming.” Although the club is STEM-focused you can be any major and join.

florida public interest research groups

If getting politically involved is more your speed then the FSU Florida Public Interest Research Groups (PIRG) is the one for you. While the name might sound complicated, PIRG is a rather simple student organization. PIRG is a nonpartisan and nonprofit student organization that raises awareness and lobbies for campaigns that they decide are relevant. Some current campaigns going on right now are; textbook affordability, hunger and homelessness and the new voter’s project. What is great about PIRG is that you can participate in whichever campaign you want, you can even join in all of them. Along with these campaigns they often have volunteering events such as food distributions or trash cleanup.

pride student union

Whether you’re an ally or a member of the LGBTQ+ community, the FSU Pride Student Union is a great place to get involved to assist the community. FSU’s Pride Student Union is student-led and strives for advocacy, community, and empowerment. They often have political action events to discuss relevant events in relation to the LGBTQ+ community. In addition to this, they offer the opportunity to volunteer at the Pride Student Union center where you can connect students with campus resources.

Many of these organizations table on Legacy Walk every Wednesday during FSU’s infamous “Market Wednesdays,” where you can ask them questions. They also each have regular general body meetings where you can go to learn more about what the organization offers besides volunteering.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi! I am a student at Florida State University. My pronouns are she/they and I am a part of the LGBTQ+ community! My first and foremost goal is to share information that I feel will benefit everyone and make sure that everyone feels heard and seen.