Life > Experiences

Top Five Experiences Everyone Should Try Their First Year at FSU

Starting college can be a daunting experience, and I know as soon as I stepped foot onto campus, I was dying to find fun, inexpensive, and relatively close things I could do by myself or with my friends to entertain me on the days when it felt like nothing was going on. I realized after spending some time at FSU that there was plenty to do both on and off campus. Now, having just finished my second year, I believe I have some pretty good recommendations for different things that everyone could like. These are some of my favorite experiences at FSU that I think are crucial to your first year.

Sunset Walks Around Campus

This is one of my favorite memories I have with my roommate and something I love to do so often. FSU’s campus is stunning, with historic red brick buildings, canopy tree-lined streets, and beautiful architecture. In the spring of my second semester, my roommate and I had been cooped up in our Magnolia Hall dorm studying for our looming finals. The weather was gorgeous outside, and we felt so wasteful sitting at our desks.

Ten minutes later, we were walking down Jefferson Street toward the stadium. The sky was streaks of oranges and pinks as we laughed about all the crazy stuff that had happened to us that year. My tip for doing walks on campus is to take an untraditional route, so go the opposite way of how you’d normally walk to your classes. You can find some favorite hidden gems. These walks are great for your first year at FSU, as getting a little lost while roaming the campus helps you learn it even better.

Midnight Showings at the Student Life Cinema

Another one of my cherished FSU memories is going to a midnight showing at the Student Life Cinema (SLC). The SLC plays recently released films and older films with free admission for FSU students. They’ll sometimes do midnight showings of older films, which is always fun to do on a random Friday night. I know I love eating tons of candy while laughing at older movies I’ve already seen a number of times yet fail to get old. There’s also something so fun about seeing films you wouldn’t normally see on the silver screen back in theaters again. The tip for seeing what films are showing is to keep an eye on their Instagram page: @SLC_FSU.

Spring Games

When I first arrived on campus, I would think “FSU Football” when I first heard “sports.” I remember thinking that once the spring semester rolled around, I would be so bored. But there are so many other fun sporting events you can see in spring. Basketball is always a highlight during the early winter months. The crowd has electric energy as everyone is cheering on the Noles, and popcorn is usually a staple snack within the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center. Both FSU Women’s Basketball and FSU Men’s Basketball seasons amp up during the early months of the spring semester so that you can cheer on both of our incredible teams and the outstanding athletes on them.

As the weather gets warmer later in the spring semester, baseball and softball season starts. This current season, FSU Softball has been amazing, with an outstanding win against the University of Florida on May 3. Both Men’s Baseball season and FSU’s Softball season occur simultaneously so that you can support both of these spectacular teams. This is a great idea during this time of year, especially with daylight savings, as you can catch some beautiful sunsets from Mike Martin Field and the Seminole Softball Complex.

Coffee Shop Hop

Another area I was lost on when I first got to campus was where to go for coffee. I often thought that when I studied, I needed to do so at my desk for hours at a time with no distractions. Now, as a seasoned college student (or as I’d like to hope), I think that there are many ways to study while also enjoying the time you’re spending. This, for me, has been trying different locally owned coffee shops within Tallahassee. As my years have gone by, I’ve found some amazing places that are perfect to go to on those long Sundays when you’re studying but still need a change of scenery from your desk.

Black Dog Cafe has two locations in Tallahassee, one by Lake Ella and one in Railroad Square Art Park. I love the Lake Ella location, as they have tons of tables outside that overlook the lake. I think a little bit of fresh air as well as the sight of geese, ducks, and people walking their dogs, is the perfect reprieve from studying that all students need.

Lucky Goat Coffee is another Tallahassee fan favorite. They have multiple locations throughout the region that can be the perfect spot for whatever you’re feeling that day. A fun part of Lucky Goat Coffee and all their locations is they have recommendations on their website for what location is best for what you’ll be doing that day. This could be reading by yourself, meeting up with friends, or relaxing.

First Fridays at Railroad Square Art District

One of my favorite Tallahassee events is First Fridays at the Railroad Square Art District. This event happens on the first Friday of every month. In the evening time, the boutiques and art galleries within the area stay open later, allowing everyone to amble through. Usually, there is live music and a variety of delicious food trucks. This is an event I did not know was here my first year, but now an absolute staple to go to. I love trying the food from the various food truck vendors and checking out unique finds in the boutiques. This is a great experience, especially for those who are new to FSU, as you can learn more about the thriving art community in Tallahassee.

So, whether you’re new to FSU or maybe you’re graduating soon and want to make sure you checked everything off your list, I hope I helped you find some new ideas of things to do. I know I’ve made some great memories doing all these things, and I hold them in a special place in my heart.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Sabrina is student at Florida State University studying media and communications with a minor in english. She enjoys reading, writing, and spending time outdoors.