3 Tips for Hosting Friends in Suite-Style FSU Dorms

Whether you’re a freshman living in a nicer on-campus dorm like Azalea, or you’re an upperclassman trudging through the corridors of DeGraff, it’s helpful to know how to host out-of-town friends. FSU is a popular campus for the college-aged demographic in Florida. In the two years I’ve been here, I’ve had many friends from high school wanting to stay over. Here’s how I deal with the inconvenience of cramming my visitors into a small dorm room.

Air Mattresses: Easily Stored and Comfortable

While some may attempt to share the twin XL dorm bed with their friends, there’s no doubt that this is a difficult process. If you’re prone to tossing and turning in your sleep, squeezing together in these small beds can be dangerous since unadjusted dorm beds are pretty high off the ground. To avoid any unnecessary injuries, alternative bedding may be needed to accommodate your guest.  

Air mattresses are like comfy cots that can easily be stored in the closet space of a dorm when not being used. They come in all different sizes. However, I would suggest buying a twin size to ensure it’s taking up the least amount of space possible. Prices may vary, but Walmart carries options with built-in pumps for as little as $21. Fresh sheets and a cute pillow can transform a bland air mattress into an aesthetic sleepover staple piece.  

If you or your guest are the outdoorsy type, sleeping bags are another option. While these may not be as comfortable as an air mattress, they can save you money, especially if they’re already in your possession.

Stock Up on Snacks

Microwave-safe, lazy college snacks will be your best friend when you’re hosting friends in your dorm. With the lack of a private kitchen, the act of whipping up a full-course meal can be daunting and time-consuming. Limited space in the small fridges can also make it hard to store many refrigerated food items. There are multiple food options on campus, but when the midnight cravings hit you and your guest, you’ll definitely wish you had some snacks. Chips and dip, instant mac and cheese cups, and popcorn are just a few snacks that can satiate your appetites when all the food options nearby have closed and you don’t have the energy to fight with the communal stove.

Clean Up Clutter

When you’re busy spending the weekend with a visiting friend, making a mess is oftentimes inevitable. Having visitors may feel like a change of pace, but it’s still important to remain on top of certain responsibilities. Between getting ready, switching outfits at least seven times, and having makeup sprawling around, it’s easy for disorganization to occur quickly.

In suite-style dorms with limited space and two people sharing the room, you have to be mindful of the area and your roommate’s boundaries. Make sure that your guest’s belongings stay on your side of the room, and I would make my best effort to tidy up as best as possible. An influx of clutter in a smaller shared space can make the room feel cramped and uncomfortable for everyone staying there.  

Having visitors from home can be the best way to alleviate some homesickness and create amazing new memories. Just remember: it’s important to prepare and communicate with your roommate beforehand when expecting a guest. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Maya Shah is a staff writer at Her Campus at the FSU chapter. She is a Marketing major with a minor in Hispanic Marketing Communications.