Wellness

Satisfying Your Sweet Tooth: The Best Desserts To Have at Suwannee

No matter the time of day, my sweet tooth takes over every time, as I am constantly looking for new desserts to eat. Being a freshman at Florida State University (FSU), I’m frequently going to the Suwannee Room because it’s convenient, I have meal swipes to kill, and I, fortunately, live close by. So, as someone who runs (not walks) to the dessert section, here are what I find to be the best dessert options offered at Suwannee.

The chocolate chip cookie

I’ve noticed that when there is nothing else, a chocolate chip cookie is the safest option because of how versatile it is. When I’m on the go and want a quick sweet, this is the first option I look for, but if I have the time to sit down and indulge, the chocolate chip cookie can be paired with anything. For example, my favorite flavor of ice cream is cookie dough. Rather than going off campus for ice cream, the chocolate chip cookie comes to the rescue. I found that the combination of vanilla ice cream and a smashed cookie serves as the best dupe to a typical cookie dough ice cream. Whether it is eaten alone or with another dessert, the chocolate chip cookie never fails in taste as it is continuously warm and served with the right amount of softness and crunch. When in doubt, this cookie is your best friend.

caramel apple pecan parfait

I stumbled upon this dessert recently and I was pleasantly surprised. It came with a few apple slices, vanilla yogurt, caramel dressing, and pieces of pecan. Who knew that pairing apple and vanilla yogurt together would create a delicious treat? Yet here I am impressed and obsessed. I used to not be a huge fan of apples or anything apple-flavored, but Suwannee has been changing my mind recently since they make apples more appetizing with the number of combinations they do. If you’re ever looking for something simple, sweet and filling, I would recommend this option because it will leave you filled and satisfied.

banana pudding parfait

Alongside the apple combinations, the banana pudding parfait has become very near and dear to my heart as I look forward to every Friday when it’s served. As a banana enthusiast, I’m always looking for a sweet that pairs my favorite fruits with another dessert, and this option does it flawlessly. Served with banana, vanilla pudding and crushed vanilla wafers, it’s both a soft and filling choice paired best with a plate of fried chicken and mac and cheese. Pro tip: try to savor the banana pieces and don’t inhale them like I do because that is what makes this dessert especially tasty.

apple peach crisp

Whenever I’m back at home and my family is celebrating a special occasion or a certain holiday, one of my favorite desserts that my mom makes is a warm apple pie served with a side of vanilla ice cream. I haven’t had this dessert in a while until I came to FSU and stumbled upon the apple peach crisp. With apples, peaches and cinnamon-graham cracker crumbs, this warm and scrumptious dessert is not only filling but is at its absolute best when combined with vanilla ice cream. Every time I take a bite, I’m reminded of the apple pie I loved growing up and missed dearly. Not only has this become a superior substitute to my favorite home dessert, but anytime I see it being served, it is an immediate yes from me without hesitation.

red velvet cream cheese bar

While vanilla may appear to be my favorite flavor, red velvet would win over vanilla in any instance, and the red velvet cream cheese bar proves this. If I’m ever in the mood for cake, one single slice of this dessert option is enough to satisfy that craving as it is not only served soft but balanced with the right amount of frosting and red velvet. However—and make no mistake—this is a temporary replacement for the Publix chocolate cake, as that is where my loyalty will always lie, but this is a pleasant substitute.

While the meals at Suwannee are a hit or miss, the desserts never fail me and my insatiable craving for sweets.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Sophia Ferraro – Florida State University HerCampus Chapter