Relay for Life: A Walk for Celebration, Remembrance, and Resilience

If you are looking to make a big impact on lives and the progression of cancer research in your time as a Florida State University student, I have just the right organization for you. Relay for Life is an organization at FSU that advocates support for the American Cancer Society. It all started in 1985 when Dr. Gordon “Gordy” Klatt walked and ran around a track in Tacoma, Washington for 24 hours straight with a mission of raising money for the American Cancer Society and spreading awareness of the country’s biggest health concern: cancer. He later came up with the idea of having fundraising teams participate in a similar concept and hosted the first Relay for Life in the Stadium Bowl. Even after Klatt sadly passed away in 2014 due to heart failure, his legacy lives on through this global fundraising phenomenon.

All the advocation for cancer research leads up to their biggest event in the spring. The reason the organization is called Relay for Life is because the event is one big relay walk. In your team, you will switch off walking laps for 12 consecutive hours. When it isn’t your turn to relay, each team fundraises individually by setting up themed booths to sell items for donations. Even if you aren’t participating as a relayer, you can stop by and check out all the cool tables people have set up and donate to the cause!

Luminaria

The Luminaria ceremony is one of the pivotal elements of this organization. It takes place in the fall and at the end of the main Relay for Life event held in the spring. Luminaria is a lantern dedicated to anyone who has been impacted by cancer, experienced cancer, or has lost their battle due to cancer. These lanterns are decorated with dedicated names and lit as a representation of lives that have been impacted by cancer. The ceremony concludes with a moment of silence for those who have lost their lives to cancer.

This ceremony is truly impactful as you get to see a tangible representation of the big impact you get to be a part of. Even if you are fortunate enough to not be directly impacted by cancer, this is a special moment to hear people’s stories and shed light on those that have been impacted. Jodi Joveski shares a heartwarming video on how she honors her husband and father through Relay for Life. At the main event, you will hear from cancer survivors, cancer patients, and cancer caregivers just like Joveski. This is a very moving part of the entire organization!

Getting Involved

One of Relay’s biggest events is coming up on Nov. 28. The event is called Giving Tuesday, and it’s going to be on Union Green from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The purpose of the event is to raise money for the American Cancer Society through fun activities. This year, Giving Tuesday’s theme is Winter Wonderland. At the event, there will be activities like bracelet making, a frozen T-shirt contest, ornament making, and the chance to pie an executive member! You can register to be a part of Relay by going to the FSU Relay for Life page. If there isn’t an RSO or Greek life organization that you want to relay with, you can join through the “All Participants” team.

I am very excited to be a part of this organization for the first time! I can’t wait to see you making an impact on the future of cancer research at Relay for Life!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Ally Albuerne is a Human Development and Family Science major at Florida State University from Sarasota, FL. When she isn't writing, Ally enjoys reading books, watching new movies, crocheting, and getting coffee with friends!