Life > Experiences

Ready To Live, Laugh and Love This Valentine’s Day? Swing by This On-Campus Event

Picture this, it’s the Friday night before Valentine’s Day and you walk into a dark room in the basement of the Florida State University (FSU) student union. You take an open seat next to a stranger. The lights come up, and the first comedy act enters the stage. You laugh at the comedian’s jokes in harmony with the stranger sitting next to you. You glance over at each other, tension building between the two of you. When the show ends, the stranger asks if you want to get Panda Express and you accept. Over dinner, you realize you both love the same shows, music and places to go out—Potbelly’s on Thursdays and Recess on Saturdays. It’s love at first laugh. At the end of the night, you make plans to go on a second date. 

This fantasy could become your meet-cute reality if you go to the Live, Laugh, Love Local Comedy showcase presented by Club Down Under, The Eggplant, Friday Night Live, No Bears Allowed and 30in60 on Friday, Feb. 10. No Valentine? Recent breakup? Long-distance significant other? Hopeless romantic? Come live, laugh and love at this on-campus event instead of crying—or having a mediocre hookup—this Valentine’s season. 

Bella Bozied, an editor for The Eggplant, FSU’s leading satirical news publication and one of the organizations supplying comedians for the event, shared all the juicy details about the event where you could possibly meet your 2023 Valentine. With a big smile, she says, “I’m just really excited! I’ve never done stand-up before. I focus mainly on writing for our publication, and this will be our first event as a group in a while!” 

The Eggplant was founded in January of 2014 and has been supplying FSU students with laughs ever since. The publication has gained a following of nearly 6,000 on Twitter and nearly 2,000 on Instagram. Bozied remarks, “The Eggplant is a great creative and fun outlet for me.” When talking about her team, she said, “I love the group of writers who encompass The Eggplant and I’m so lucky to get to learn from them.”

If you are not yet an avid reader of The Eggplant, in addition to Her Campus, then you definitely should be. It provides you with everything you need to giggle through your day, from laughing about FSU to Tallahassee to pop culture as a whole. 

Bozied urges anyone who can, on social media or in person, to spread the word about the event and support the Florida State comedic community. She describes it as a must-see event.

Still not convinced that you want to come out after my compelling meet-cute scenario and Bozied’s plea to support local comedians? Consider the fact that you might be watching a future famous comedian, and you could claim you saw them before their big break. This is one campus event you definitely do not want to miss, so come on out on Feb. 10 and get in the mood—a goofy mood, that is—before the big V-Day. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, I am Sophie Kish and I am an aspiring creator. Through my work I am looking to connect with countless women, and create a community. I want to uplift all women so they have the confidence to slay everyday! Pa'lante y Pa'lante