Life > Experiences

Rating On-Campus Dining Options So You Don’t Have To

FSU is known for having a wide variety of chain restaurants on its campus, making both fast food and sit-down dining accessible to its entire student body. Our restaurants are pretty hit or miss, so I’m sharing some of my favorites as well as others I wasn’t so impressed with.

Pollo Tropical

As someone who grew up in a Hispanic household in Miami, you learn to love Pollo Tropical. Whenever my parents didn’t feel like cooking, but still wanted a hot meal that was somewhat similar to our culture’s food and convenient, Pollo was the first option. If you can get past the rush-hour lines, Pollo is a great option if you want something quick that resembles a home-cooked meal. From my experience, the employees were very nice (compared to other places on campus) and my food was ready in about 10 minutes. With menu items ranging from rice and beans, to grilled chicken, salads and wraps, Pollo is sure to have something for everyone. 

Chick-fil-A

Listen, I love Chick-fil-A as much as the next person, but there are many others in the area that you can go to and receive a wider menu variety without having to stand in that cramped line that is claustrophobia-inducing. Aside from the fact that it’s always packed, our Chick-fil-A, unfortunately, doesn’t serve a lot of the most popular menu items (for reasons unknown to me), which is what deters me the most from going here. If you’d like anything other than chicken nuggets, fries or a chicken sandwich, you’re better off going to another location off-campus. 

The Den

An FSU staple, I’ve never had a bad experience at the Den. With their affordable prices and diner-style eats, you’re free to either sit in and dine or carry out and eat at home. Their menu ranges from burgers and club sandwiches to chicken tenders and salads, which is perfect for a quick stop after or in between classes. If you’re a night owl, they’re also open until midnight for dining in or carrying out. 

Subway

This might be a controversial take, but I’m a huge Subway fan and every time I’ve visited ours, I’ve gotten great service and food. If you beat the mid-day lunch rush, you can be in and out of here in less than 10 minutes, which is the route I take. The ingredients always look fresh, and the employees have always been friendly, which keeps me coming back for more.

1851

I’m not sure what I would have done if I didn’t have 1851 when I lived in Azalea. There truly is something for everyone here, with Bento serving Asian fusion, Vato Tacos having a variety of quick tex-mex eats, Mac Shack offering just about anything you want in a mac and cheese bowl, Tuscan Eatery serving up all the fast-Italian food you could want and the newly added Starbucks. 1851 is your one-stop shop for not only food but vibes. The dim lighting and the multi-floor design allow you to either sit in and eat your food or simply use it as a chill study space. I’ve clearly spent a lot of time in 1851 during my time at FSU, and I have no complaints at all. 

With all of these and countless more restaurants available to FSU students in such proximity to dorms and classroom buildings, you’re sure to find somewhere to eat after a long day of classes. No matter the craving, FSU’s got you in the food department. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

hi! my name's allison, i'm currently attending florida state university majoring in exercise physiology in hopes of going to med school to become an ob/gyn! i'm an iced coffee lover, heavy criminal minds watcher, and a pumpkin flavored everything enthusiast.