Navigating Life as an FSU Transfer Student: Sorority Edition

A sisterhood of love, a family of forever bonds, and a lifetime full of the happiest memories! For so many years, these were some of the things that attracted me to sorority recruitment, hoping to find my second family during my college years. Rushing at my previous university felt like a fever dream, knowing at the end of the process, I was going to run home to the place meant for me.

After a whole semester of pledging, initiation, and all the moments in between, I truly started to feel that sense of community, fulfilling a dream I’ve always wanted to achieve. Somewhere during all of this, I received a second chance to attend my dream university, FSU. Not once did I think I was going to leave anytime soon, but as someone who believes that everything happens for a reason, this wasn’t something I could ignore.

Finding out I was transferring to a new university and starting from scratch was scary, but transferring to a new chapter of my sorority where you’re a fresh, new face? Terrifying to say the least. Before I made my move, I spent countless hours telling myself things that were meant to be would be. However, self-consoling only did so much, as I just had to dive head-first into this brand-new chapter of my life. After saying goodbye to my family, moving into my dorm, and crying my heart out, I was ready to face my new life with a newfound sense of confidence.

One of the best things about a sorority is that a sister is a sister for life, no matter where you are. Throughout the past three weeks here at FSU, I can confidently say with everything in me that I have found some of my newest best friends. Upon walking into the house on the very first day, I was showered with so much love and welcomed with open arms. My phone was flooded with notifications of the sweetest messages, saying how happy everyone was that I am now a part of my new chapter’s family. Adjusting as a transfer was going to be an adjustment, but I already knew my new sisters were going to make it so much easier.

Navigating life as a transfer student, especially when going into a new chapter of my sorority, was probably one of the most nerve-wracking experiences I’ve ever been through. However, I’ve learned so much about myself and what I’m capable of, and that’s not something I’d trade for anything! I already greatly cherish the friendships I’ve been making so far, knowing that in the future these are relationships that will last a lifetime. I never expected my life to change this much, but I’m so grateful for the positivity that’s been brought to me so far.

If you find yourself in the same position as me, use my experience so far as a way to ground yourself and know that everything will work out in the end. I now hold a chair position in my current chapter, am starting to become a familiar face among the sisters, and the house has quickly become my safe space. Everyone’s timeline is different, but I can promise that you’ll end up where you’re supposed to be.

Having a meal with a sister you’ve never met before or showing up to sisterhood events to build bonds with other girls are just examples of ways to make your unfamiliar environment feel like a new home! Believe it or not, everyone is always looking for a new friend. You never know; the girl sitting next to you might become your future bridesmaid! To this day, I still wake up in the mornings a bit anxious for the day, but from the way my time here has been going so far, having a positive outlook helps to seriously improve my mindset.

My new chapter has given me so much more than what I could’ve ever imagined: opportunities for self-growth, belonging, and encouragement! With my new sisters by my side, I know they’ll push me to be the best version of myself and the type of friend I’ll be so proud to be. For anyone starting this journey in the future, give your new chapter a chance, as they’ll be your supporters every step of the way.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Abrianna Hernandez is a Her Campus writer at her university chapter with a love for journalism, who covers topics on entertainment, beauty, fashion, and more. Abrianna is currently working towards a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, but apart from focusing on her studies, she enjoys any and all things writing, taking the time creating articles in everything that she’s passionate about.