Pros & Cons of My First Month at FSU London

Feb. 11 marked my first 30 days in London. Overall, the experience has been amazing, and adjusting has been easier than I expected. I will admit that studying abroad in London is probably easier than the other locations that FSU has to offer. There’s no language barrier, and the culture is similar to that of the United States. Now that I have a month under my belt, let’s go over my personal pros and cons. 

Pros

Travel

One of the best parts about studying abroad is being able to travel on weekends. In the past month alone, I’ve been to Belgium, Amsterdam, and Prague. Flying around Europe is relatively cheap, and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity that you should take advantage of. It’s also interesting to learn about new cultures and find out what each country is known for. There are also day trips you can take from London, which I will definitely be doing in the future. 

Meeting New People

One thing that I found surprising coming into this program was that I didn’t know who my flatmates would be until the day I arrived. At first, I was a little hesitant, but it turned out great. I think that being in a small program makes it easier to make friends. Classes consist of 10 to 20 students, and flats range from five to eight people. It’s crazy to think that I would have never crossed paths with most of the people here if it weren’t for this program. I’m excited to return to Tallahassee with all the amazing people I now know.  

City Life

The campus is in the center of London, which makes it convenient to walk most places. The tube and buses are also great and reliable. It can be overwhelming at first, but I was quick to get the hang of it. 

London also has so many free events going on all the time. Just this week, I was able to attend the Dune 2 red carpet premiere where I saw Zendaya, Florence Pugh, Timothée Chalamet, and more! Practically anything you can think of is within a 15 minute walk, and the city is so big that you’ll always find someplace new to explore.

Cons

London Is Expensive

As someone who doesn’t typically spend a lot of money, this has probably been my hardest adjustment. I’ve come to learn that restaurants here don’t really sell meals, and having to buy fries and a drink alongside your main dish adds up quickly. Traveling nearly every weekend isn’t cheap, so I try to limit my spending during the week and cook a lot of meals at home. While it can be tempting to buy souvenirs in every city you travel to, it’s really not practical, at least not for me. I’ve taken to collecting postcards from each city because they are inexpensive and I can hang them up.

Classes

Another thing that came as a big shock to me was the education aspect of FSU London. Each of the classes only meets once a week for three hours at a time. They do this to ensure there are no classes on Fridays so that students can travel for long weekends. Sitting through my three-hour chemistry lecture is something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. The attendance policy is also very strict here, so unless you’re on your deathbed, you’ll have to go to class. 

Homesickness

Being homesick was something I experienced in the first weeks, but now that I’m getting into a routine, things have gotten easier. At first, it was hard to imagine living across the world for four months. But once classes started, I was busier and more occupied. 

It can also be hard to talk to people back home whenever you want due to the five-hour time difference. To me, it’s important to set aside time to FaceTime family and make sure to keep in touch with friends as well. 

Overall, I am loving my time here. I’m so grateful to be given this opportunity and to be in such a wonderful program. If you’re considering studying abroad in London, I would highly recommend! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Lorelei is a staff writer for Her Campus FSU and a second-year Biology major. In her free time, she enjoys thrifting, reading, obsessing over Taylor Swift, traveling, and rewatching Glee for the hundredth time.