A path between grass and two trees
A path between grass and two trees
Photo by Savanna Pare

My Favorite FSU Trees

Living on the Salley side of FSU means I’ve walked far and wide to reach my classes. Because of that, I’ve been able to witness the beauty that is the Tallahassee campus. More specifically: the gorgeous oak trees. Ever since the beginning of my freshman year, my roommate and I have had a running joke about declaring our favorite campus trees, so I’m writing today to share with you all how oddly passionate I am about them.

Starting off strong with my favorite of all time! If you take a little trip down Legacy Walk, past Dirac Library, and across from Hoffman, you will see the tree that inspired this all. This tree has its own green space. It’s so big that only small patches of sunlight shine through to reach the ground, giving it an angelic hue. There are no other trees right next to it, making it a sight to see. When I saw it for the first time, I literally texted my roommate telling her I found “the one.” 

If you’re worried about getting hit by a football on Landis (I’ve been there) or if you just prefer a quieter space outside, I would absolutely recommend this tree to hang out under. There are also a few benches underneath it which are usually occupied, but I can’t blame them. I like to think this tree is placed strategically on the more STEM side of campus to entice STEM students to take a little breather and spend some time outside. 

My second favorite group of trees resides in the Health and Wellness Center Garden. I think the entire garden is gorgeous really, but to properly take in all its glory I recommend you lay on one of the benches and look up at that canopy these trees create. It might sound silly, but I have done this with no shame, so don’t worry. With the large branches intertwining with the other trees and the Spanish moss hanging down, it’s such a relaxing place to stop between classes or even while you’re eating a bagel from Einstein’s. 

Lastly, this one might seem unpopular, but I swear I have a vision. The trees on the west-facing side of HCB have so much potential for being a cute hang-out spot. You’re right at the intersection of Legacy Walk, so it’s perfect for people (and skateboard) watching. I only see people on that green occasionally, so I feel it is deeply underutilized. It’s an ideal spot to grab some food from the Union and have a picnic with friends.

I also have some honorable mentions, like the trees in front of the glass corridor of the Kasha building. I watched those trees turn from bright green to orange and yellow before the leaves died for the winter and it was an emotional experience, to say the least (can you tell it was my first time watching leaves change?). And I can’t forget about Greek Park. Those trees are gorgeous and one of my favorite places to read in between classes because there’s so much shade.

At the end of the day, you could show me a dying, leafless tree and I would still find a way to fall in love with it. I’ve always been a fan of the outdoors, but living on campus has only made me more emotionally attached to the trees I pass on my way to class every day.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Savanna is majoring in English editing, writing, and media at FSU. In her free time she’s picking up a good book, listening to her favorite artists, or spending time with her friends.