Why Living Off-Campus During Your Freshman Year at FSU Is Worth It

Many students associate their first year of college with the dorm lifestyle. When I first applied to FSU, I had no doubt in my mind that I would be one of the hundreds of students signing up for a dorm and wandering the halls of Azalea or Wildwood, but the universe had different plans for me.

My roommate and I were set on living together, but by the time we decided to sign up for dorms, it was too late to pick a roommate. We opted to look for an off-campus apartment instead. The apartment scene in Tallahassee is not only expensive but also selective.

We began looking for apartments in late April. By then, most places were filled up, and the ones that weren’t were charging outrageous prices. Luckily, we were able to find a two-bedroom two-bath five minutes from campus that suited us. While I’ve loved my homey apartment with all my heart, there have been ups and downs as I’ve navigated my freshman year.

Social Life

When I first decided to live off-campus, my family expressed concerns that it would impact my social life and campus involvement. This comes from a reasonable place, and I do concede that I skipped out on some events just because I was too lazy to drive back to campus. Though I didn’t go to all the Club Downunder events or movie showings at the Askew Student Life Center, having an apartment gave me the opportunity to explore Tallahassee.

Coming from a big city like Miami, I was shocked at how small and quiet Tally is, but I loved being able to explore all the parks, forests, and coffee shops with my friends. When I talk to people who live on campus, I realize how much easier it is for them to stay in the FSU bubble and never see what else Tallahassee has to offer.

One of my favorite things about having an apartment during my first year was being able to host get-togethers. My roommate and I planned a Christmas party with our friends that was super fun! Being able to invite our friends over for dinner or karaoke nights makes me feel so grateful I have a space of my own.

There are also no quiet hours and about 20 candles in my apartment, which is a huge plus for me. Needless to say, your social life doesn’t necessarily have to suffer just because you live in an apartment your first year. There are tons of ways to meet friends even if you don’t live in the same dorm as them!

Expenses

One of the questions I get asked the most about living off-campus is the price. Compared to my friends living in dorms, I pay about the same for my apartment for twice the space. Not only do I save on food, but I also eat healthier because I’m not constantly going out to eat. Most nights my roommate and I cook together (I mostly just cut vegetables because I’m a hazard near an open flame).

My diet has become so much healthier since moving to my apartment. Fast-food restaurants may seem like a luxury, but nothing beats a home-cooked meal. I have the space now to try out new recipes and explore what I really like. Though it does have its downsides financially — I do have to pay for gas and groceries — the costs end up being lower than a meal plan or having to eat out almost every day.

Overall, being off-campus your first year can feel a bit isolating at first, but it can be such a positive experience! I don’t regret at all not staying in a dorm my first year. I feel much more comfortable than I ever would have felt having to live in a room with another person always there. Though I didn’t have the traditional freshman year experience, it worked out for the better!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Glorimar Pagan is a Freshman at Florida State University majoring in Creative Writing. She is a staff writer at the Her Campus FSU chapter where she enjoys writing about pop culture, campus news, and books. She can usually be found reading outdoors, playing the guitar, or daydreaming about her mom's Puerto Rican cooking.