florida state football field
florida state football field
Original photo by Lauren Sparling
Career

Seminole Productions Is Helping Female FSU Students Launch Careers in Sports Media

Women trying to make it in the world of sports media often run into some hurdles, as it has been a male-dominated field for so long. Seminole Productions at Florida State University is a live sports broadcasting production department that produces a variety of shows aired on different networks, as well as in-venue entertainment that covers an array of sports at FSU. Breaking away from the norm, Seminole Productions actively supports women in their pursuits within sports media.

As a volunteer at the department myself, I had the opportunity to talk to some of the inspiring women at Seminole Productions about their experiences working both in front of the camera and behind the scenes.

Working In Front of the Camera

Meredith Grimm, a student at Florida State, has the goal of pursuing a career in sideline reporting and is grateful for the opportunities that Seminole Productions has provided her with to get started. While still a student, Grimm has gained remarkable experience and has felt empowered and supported while doing so.

Still so early in her career, Seminole Productions has given Grimm an outlet to combine her passion for sports and storytelling to create the moments that make sports so touching and exciting. During the last softball last season, she “was doing a hit about Michaela Edenfield and the impact and inspiration she’s had on young softball players, and seconds later she hit a grand slam. We got to show her celebration and the celebration of all the little girls in attendance,” Grimm says on her favorite moment of her career.

In addition to creating moments like these, Grimm has been able to network with people from ESPN and ABC, and even meet some of the women in her field that she looks up to. She also expresses gratitude for not only learning about sideline reporting but also gaining insight into all the intricacies of sports broadcasting. Working alongside other incredible women who are role models to Grimm at Seminole Productions has allowed her to feel comfortable working there as a woman. She states, “I really enjoy going to work because I know that I can be the most complete version of myself, and I will be accepted.”

Working Behind the Camera

On the other side of the camera, Julia Galli, a graduate student at Florida State, strives to become a producer or director for live sports broadcasting and is well on her way through the work she has accomplished already. Galli attributes Seminole Productions to helping her get her foot in the door. “Seminole Productions was my very first experience with the world of live sports, and I have grown so much over the last few years with them,” she says.

She is grateful for the work that she has gotten to do as a camera operator. Despite being at an early stage in her career, she has been able to get professional experience by working with ACCN and ESPN.

Working behind the camera in sports tends to be even more male-dominated. However, Galli explains that she has never felt discouraged: “I have never once felt out of place within the office or on the field/court, and I continue to meet new women who inspire me and encourage me to pursue a career in sports every single day.”

Seminole Productions isn’t just producing shows. It’s breaking down barriers that previously had limited women pursuing sports media by providing support, mentorship, and incredible opportunities. From their commitment to their inclusivity, Seminole Productions is rewriting the playbook for a sports media industry future where passion comes first and everyone gets a fair shot regardless of their gender.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Aiven Davis is a new writer to Her Campus, this being her first semester writing at the Florida State chapter. Eager to bring her unique perspective she is looking forward to contributing personal and culture articles. Beyond Her Campus, Aiven interns at the Florida State Office of University Communications where she creates content through photography and videography for Florida State across their main social media accounts. She also volunteers at Seminole Productions where she contributes to the live broadcasting of a variety of sport events, including covering women’s soccer and volleyball, football, baseball, and softball. Her entire first year of school was spent abroad in Valencia, Spain She is currently in her third year at Florida State University where she majors in Digital Media Production with a minor in International Affairs. In her frere time, Aiven enjoys watching movies, specifically movies directed by women. Using this interest, she spends a lot of her time contributing to her passion project, a TikTok account promoting films made by women. In addition to this Aiven enjoys staying active by going for walks around campus, she loves going on quick trips with her friends and of course enjoying a movie at the on-campus theatre!