Campus Highlight: PorColombia

Most students don’t realize how much diversity can be found in our campus – heck, in our own classrooms! Surprisingly, there is an estimate of 130 countries represented here at Florida State. This is good news for students who may not have the budget to study abroad. Who said you can’t have an international experience right here in Tallahassee?

College is a time when you have the opportunity to redefine yourself, learn about your roots, and broaden your knowledge about other cultures and ideas, simply because you are exposed to diverse people with different perspectives and insights.

With that said, there are countless of student organizations representing countries from across the globe here at Florida State; the best part is no passport is required!

One of the most proactive student organizations found on campus, PorColombia, promotes and represents a vibrant country in South America. They strive to knit together a community of Colombians and students from different backgrounds interested in learning more about this rich culture.

PorColombia first GBM meeting

Elsa Rodriguez, a senior studying Pre-Med and the President of PorColombia at Florida State, has been a part of this organization for her entire college career; it has truly served as a home away from home.

“Coming from a tight knit Hispanic family, it was difficult to adjust to life on my own. PorColombia provided a network of friends who supported me and who ultimately became my family,” says Elsa.

There is definitely a sense of family and community unique to this organization as well as the Latin American culture. The e-board and members are always excited to welcome new people, regardless of their background. Allow me to give you the perfect example: The Vice President of this organization, John Amiss, is actually a Tallahassee native who has always admired and been attracted to the Colombian way of life.

John, a senior double majoring in International Affairs and Criminal Justice, definitely agrees that PorColombia is not an “exclusive or isolated” organization. Apart from bringing a diverse group of students together to promote cultural awareness, PorColombia also loves working with other organizations, and plans to partake in more co-sponsoring in the future. John hopes to get this organization more involved with the issues of immigrant rights and hopes to make a “tangible change in other people’s lives” through action and advocacy.

Recently, this proactive group underwent a transformation: they went from being COLSA (Colombian Student Organization) to PorColombia. This was not just any ordinary name change. PorColombia is a nationally recognized organization that is supported by both a national and chapter executive board.  This takes networking to a whole new level! It extends resources and erases the boundary lines between members nationwide. Members are now able to branch out and exchange ideas, share stories, and even establish professional relationships that can open doors in the future.

Just two weekends ago, PorColombia members drove to Gainesville for a conference full of inspirational and innovative speakers. The topics ranged from technology to entrepreneurship, and cultural awareness to community service. Natalia Pena, a junior majoring in Communications and the Public Relations chair for PorColombia, was inspired by Mariana Cobo, who started a foundation to help children living in poverty at the age of – wait for it – thirteen!

PorColombia Conference trip

“Every person, young or old, student or professional, had one thing in common: passion. The philanthropic spirit, passion, and desire to get involved in Colombia were inspirational, even to the non-Colombians that were there,” recounts Elsa.

Getting to know a new culture does not just mean tasting their cuisine and dancing a few salsa songs. It means interaction, getting to know their values and traditions, as well as stepping outside of your cultural boundary and getting rid of all the stereotypes you may have.

The Colombia that most people hear about in the media is bogged down with images of conflict and cartels. In actuality, this has largely disappeared and has been replaced by a resilient culture that refuses to be defined by the dark times.

For Colombian students, this organization can be the arepa to your Bandeja Paisa, and for those with a keen curiosity, I dare you to take on a cultural journey and see what PorColombia is all about.

Simply put by Elsa, “We promote educational and cultural events in order for people to fall in love with Colombia, just like we have.” 

Like them on Facebook for more information: https://www.facebook.com/FSUColSA?fref=ts

Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."