Life > Experiences

Getting the Most Out of Senior Year, From One Homebody to Another

It’s pretty easy to forget how quickly time passes until you look back and realize how far you’ve come, and it’s honestly unreal how fast your college years seem to fly by. If you’re anything like me, then you probably spent your time in the comfort of your bed, believing that you have all the time in the world and therefore can push all the fun college stuff to the next year. So, it probably came as quite a shock when you started your senior year and suddenly found yourself lacking a bit of the Nole spirit.

While there’s no definition for the ideal “college experience,” I believe that college is what we want it to make of it. At a school like Florida State University, there are so many things to do that a lot of people fail to take advantage of, myself included. So, in order to create a college experience of my own that I can look back on, I decided to create a sort of bucket list for senior year for all the homebodies just like me who want to step out of their comfort zone. First thing to cross off the list: getting out of bed.

Homecoming!

I have to be completely honest: I had no idea how big of a deal Homecoming is here! Of course, I had to do some research to learn about this crazy week, but I can now say with absolute certainty that this is the week if you really want to soak up that ‘Nole experience. If you’re already feeling that school pride, it’s about to be elevated considering this year marks the 75th Homecoming Week at FSU, perfect timing if you plan on attending for the very first time.

The official kickoff to Homecoming is Spirit Night on Oct. 16, where you definitely need to show up and show out in your garnet and gold! The rest of the week is chock full of so many fun events that would truly be a shame to miss out on. It’s even a shame that we missed out on them in years prior! With events like the Homecoming Festival if you’re looking for that carnival vibe, the Homecoming Parade, or an evening of entertainment with Homecoming Live!, there is something for everyone at FSU to partake in and have a grand time.

This all leads up to the event of the hour that would be a shame to miss out on, especially at FSU: the Homecoming Football Game! Even if you’re anything like me, who knows very little about the sport (I know, I know), there’s no better time to get in the spirit and come out to support our team. They’ve been dominating so far, and Homecoming won’t be any different! Go to https://homecoming.fsu.edu/ for more information and constant updates on this exciting week.

Club, Another Club, Another Club

You’ve probably had a million people tell you that joining a club is the best way to get out there, but there are some cases where you just never get around to it. I’ve been wanting to be a part of Her Campus at FSU since I discovered this organization as a freshman, and I spent this past summer working on my application because I was determined to finally make it a reality. The dwindling timeframe was definitely the push I needed, and it clearly worked out! Let this be the push you need: JOIN A CLUB!

As someone who spent a lot of her time wanting to fill up her time with something more fun, it took me a while to start branching out. I can promise you, though, it’s never too late! Nole Central is the site to click on if you don’t know where to start. It has every single campus organization listed, and there is definitely something for everyone. I grew up with a love of theme parks and creativity, living so close to the best parks that Florida has to offer, and a need for an outlet to let that creativity grow. Imagine my surprise last year when I discovered that Florida State University had the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA), a club designed to bring together such incredible people who all shared the same interests. Considering I now serve as the Event Planning Coordinator, I’d say there’s no shame in putting yourself out there!

Even on the off chance that you can’t find one that’s right for you, create your own! Let your own interests guide you. Being a part of different organizations is such a fulfilling way to spend your time and meet a lot of different people. Even now, I’m still joining different clubs so I can look back on my Senior year and get that sense of fulfillment for myself. I highly recommend joining anything that interests you!

Go Get Some Fresh Air!

During my sophomore year, there was a morning when I got up super early, grabbed my blanket and my tablet, and, after buying my Starbucks, had a lovely morning picnic on Landis Green. That is still to this day one of my favorite memories at FSU. I often forget how beautiful this campus is and how limited my time on campus is, so now is the time to embrace it. Now that the weather is starting to get cooler, after how harsh the heat has been, we should all use this time to take in the fall breeze and connect with the outdoors.

Whether you’re working on a group project, studying for exams, or you just want some time in the sun, grab a couple of your friends and some blankets and soak up the Tallahassee atmosphere. Even if it’s just a break between classes, taking this time to relax outdoors does wonders for regular homebodies like myself. What I love about walking by Landis Green is seeing how everyone utilizes the space, whether they take the time to study or sleep, or even play different games with their friends! Not to mention, there are many events that take place right on Landis Green (Homecoming Festival, hint, hint), so you never have to go far!

If you want more thrill in being outdoors, just four miles away from campus is The Rez: FSU’s Lakefront Park. Entrance, as well as activities such as wall climbing and kayaking, is completely free for FSU students! There’s volleyball, swimming, relaxing on the beach, and so much more to do to maximize your time outside. The fact that I’ve never been here is honestly tragic, but I can’t wait to start being a regular at The Rez.

The “college experience” feels like this unattainable thing that is surrounded by so much pressure in trying to achieve it. We fail to realize that college is a different experience for everyone, and it’s entirely what you make of it. Considering it’s our final year at FSU, now is a better time than ever to catch up on everything you want to define as your own best experience. While we will always be a ‘Nole past graduation, now is the best time to embrace it to the fullest.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Cheyenne Cruz is a staff writer for the FSU chapter of HerCampus. Her work involves writing for personal experiences, entertainment and pop culture, and campus life at FSU. She is a Senior at Florida State University, majoring in Humanities and minoring in Hospitality Management. She also serves as the Event Planning Coordinator for the Themed Entertainment Association at FSU. In her free time, she loves reading and video chatting with her family just to check up on her dogs. She has a love for pop culture and a passion for discovering a myriad of films and tv shows, both old and new. Any song in her playlist is easily located from a movie soundtrack, and she loves bringing her new discoveries to so many different people.