florida state football field
florida state football field
Original photo by Lauren Sparling

FSU’s Red Versus Green Flags

The student life at FSU is very different than the student life at its surrounding colleges, at least from what I’ve noticed. I believe that this supreme lifestyle has to do with our sense of community. For many different reasons, most people I know are satisfied with their life in Tallahassee and at FSU. I honestly think it’s a pretty special place.

However, I’d be lying if I claimed that there aren’t some red (and green!) flags about some of the cultural norms and landmarks here. We’re an interesting group of people in an interesting place. Let’s go through a few of them together!

red flags

The FSU Snapchat Story

Though this may be a basic start, I’ve seen some of the craziest things in my life on this Snapchat story. Sometimes, it’s a student getting thrown into Westcott Fountain for their 21st birthday, and other times, it’s one of the apartment complexes flooding. Needless to say, I’m always entertained and a little concerned, which is why this is the first red flag.

Blasting the Seminole War Chant when going out

I feel like I shouldn’t have to elaborate on this too much, but when I’m out with friends and witness a sea of students doing the war chant, I giggle a little. Clearly, there’s a reason that the War Chant is named one of college football’s greatest traditions. We’re loud and proud, I guess. At least we have school spirit!

Tennessee Street

Whether you’re walking to class and trying not to get hit by a car, or setting up camp in the McDonald’s at 2 a.m., Tennessee Street is lowkey scary. Yet, it can still be a vibe… if you know, you know.

green flags

Student Involvement

The student organizations at FSU are super welcoming and showcase so many exciting events. I’ve met some great people after getting involved in student organizations. With over 750 Recognized Student Organizations to choose from, there is something for every student to participate in. This is just another factor of FSU’s amazing student life.

The Student Section at the FSU Football Games

If you’ve been in the student section for any FSU football game this year, you know how much the students are invested in our team’s success. Whether the team is on defense, kicking a field goal, or just finessed a touchdown, we are vocal for our team and coach. We basically worship Mike Norvell. Not to mention, the Seminole War Chant goes crazy in the student section.

our Beautiful Campus

I’ve always thought FSU had one of the prettiest campuses I’ve ever seen, even before I committed to this school. I think Westcott Fountain, Landis Green, and Legacy Walk have a way of stealing your heart. Whenever I need to clear my head, all I have to do is walk through campus and admire my beautiful school. Suddenly, all my issues seem irrelevant.

Despite the possible red flags, I’m thankful that I have the opportunity to attend FSU, and I know I’ll remember my time here fondly after I graduate. I’m beyond lucky to be a part of a school and community that truly makes me happy, and I hope the students reading this feel the same way. Cheers to soaking it all in, red flags, green flags, and the craziness included!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Allysa Laufersky is a Sophomore at Florida State University. She is a Staff Writer at Her Campus FSU, and is currently majoring in Media/Communication Studies, while minoring in English. Loves dancing, "hot girl walks", music, film, anything pop-culture related, TikTok, taking photos, and being in the moment.