The Women’s Soccer Team Is FSU’s Most Underrated Sports Team

On Saturday, Nov. 4, the Florida State University Women’s Soccer team won their fourth consecutive ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) Championship. The No.1 ranked Noles took on No.7 ranked Clemson to defend their national title at the WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Carolina. The Noles entered the game undefeated while Clemson only had two losses throughout the season.

Both teams battled hard with a score of one-to-one at halftime. However, the Seminoles took the lead in the fifty seventh minute when senior Onyi Echegini scored her second goal of the game.

This is the Nole’s tenth ACC tournament title, with nine of them being earned in the past 11 years. These women have consistently performed at the highest level, earning numerous trophies and accolades while putting our more popular athletic teams to shame. Even with this football season’s record, calling Florida State University a football school is laughable when looking at the consistency of our women’s soccer team.

Behind this hardworking team is an extremely dedicated and supportive coaching staff. Head coach Brian Pensky, assistant coaches Bobby Shuttleworth and Aaron Brunner, and their entire team have played a pivotal role in training the Seminoles to be a force to be reckoned with. Their expertise, extensive game study, and compassion for both these athletes and the game set their coaching apart from others in the Division I women’s soccer space.

The team’s overall success can also be attributed to the exceptional talent and hard work of the female players. These women are athletes who not only possess great skill but also unwavering determination. This team truly never rests. They eat, sleep, and breathe soccer while also balancing schoolwork, which is seriously impressive considering how much full-time students struggle with coursework alone. The Noles’ work ethic, willingness to improve and dedication to training have been crucial to the team’s success both on and off the field. The camaraderie between the players appears to have created a sisterhood with strong team chemistry that translates onto the pitch with their cohesive plays and remarkable results.

The Florida State Women’s Soccer team has solidified its position as a dominant team in the world of collegiate soccer, but where’s their recognition on campus? This team is vastly underrated by Florida State University students and faculty. These female athletes deserve a sold-out stadium and a fierce student section cheering them on at the Seminole Soccer Complex. Their achievements deserve to be celebrated on a much larger scale. Not only is this recognition vital for FSU players but also for aspiring female athletes and for ending gender disparity in all sports.

Despite their victory, the Noles’ season is far from over. The team now turns its focus to the upcoming Women’s College Cup where they will compete for the Division I Women’s Soccer Championship. You can tune in to ESPN+ to watch our Noles battle for the championship this November through December. These talented female athletes have demonstrated time and time again that they can compete at the highest level and bring home championships. It is high time they receive the acknowledgment equivalent to their outstanding accomplishments.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

I am currently a junior at Florida State University obtaining my undergraduate degree from The College of Communications. I am majoring in Media Communications and minoring in Social Entrepreneurship with an expected graduation date of May 2025.