FSU Softball Is Back in Full Swing

Even if you aren’t a dedicated softball watcher, I’m sure you’ve heard the buzz around the FSU Softball team being the NCAA Women’s College World Series Runner-ups last year. Now that we’re back in spring sports season, let me help prep you for when you go to a game!

After losing many impactful seniors, this year’s team has some big shoes to fill. This list includes first-team All-American pitcher Kathryn Sandercock, who you might know from throwing a perfect game in last year’s NCAA tournament against South Carolina. The Seminoles and head coach Lonni Alameda have been busy in the offseason, bringing in new talent, and this 2024 roster is eager to meet the challenge of upholding this team’s legacy.

First, we have some strong returners whose names might ring a bell if you watched any games last season. FSU News notes that the team “brings back all but one of their top 10 batters. This includes familiar names like Jahni Kerr (OF), Kaley Mudge (OF), Devyn Flaherty (2B), Kalei Harding (UTL) and Michaela Edenfield (C).” 

THE SEASON SO FAR

The Seminoles kicked off their season on Feb. 8. Though they started with a disappointing 5-6 loss against Charlotte, they quickly redeemed themselves with an 11-0 victory the day after.

Some other noteworthy wins from the beginning of the season include a 9-0 shutout against Florida A&M University and a 4-0 victory against the strong Stanford team. Last week, the Seminoles went two for two in a doubleheader, winning 7-3 and 9-1 against Florida International University. Though their season didn’t start quite as hoped, the Seminoles are putting up some impressive statistics.

Chop Chat writer Kelvin Hunt notes that even when FSU went 1-2 at the Clearwater Invitational, the Seminole offense still scored 10 runs during each game they lost. Though the 10-14 loss against UCLA and the 10-20 loss against Georgia are disheartening, the fact that the Seminoles scored so highly against these formidable teams speaks volumes about their strength offensively.

WHEN CAN YOU SEE A GAME?

Unfortunately, FSU Softball won’t have a home game you’ll be able to attend for a little while. The Seminoles will be playing next at the Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) Spring Break Classic in Fort Myers, Florida starting March 8. Here, they’ll face FGCU, Purdue University, and Western Michigan University.

With perfect timing for our return to Tallahassee after spring break, FSU Softball will move into conference play at home, starting with Duke. If you haven’t made it around to an FSU Softball game yet, you should make time to go and cheer on this hardworking, talented team and support women in sports this season!

While at a game, be sure to look for USA Softball’s Watchlist Player of the Year, Michaela Edenfield’s intricate, bedazzled eyeshadow look that she does herself every game!

All you need to do is show your FSU ID at the entrance gate for any regular season game to get in for free. Whether you’ve watched softball before or not, the lively environment at JoAnne Graf Field is sure to be a super fun and exciting time!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hey! My name is Emma, and I'm a first-year staff writer for Her Campus at Florida State! I'm a Jersey girl but I currently live in St. Augustine, Florida (the oldest city in the U.S.)! I'm dual degreeing in Media/Communications and Public Health with minors in Information Technology and Film. Outside of HCFSU, you can find me filming reels for the FSU School of Comm, working at the Student Union, and volunteering with Seminole Productions. If you see me on campus, I probably have my headphones on listening to music to break my 100k-minute Spotify Wrapped record! As always, go noles :)