Fresh Finds: Why FSU’s Farmer’s Market Is a Must-Visit

When it comes to campus life, Florida State University has always been at the forefront of innovation and engagement. The brand-new FSU Farmer’s Market encapsulates the university’s commitment to student well-being. The Farmer’s Market is conveniently located at the Integration Statue right next to our campus’ favorite event: Market Wednesday.

Establishing this Farmer’s Market is not just about providing fresh produce; it’s about fostering a sense of community, promoting sustainability, and tackling food insecurity on campus. FSU’s vision for this project is multifaceted and promises to enrich the lives of students and the surrounding community. This Farmer’s Market’s hosts are the team behind the Frenchtown Farmer’s Market. They saw students’ need for access to locally grown food and more connection to the Tallahassee community, so they’re bringing the market to FSU.

Sustainability in Every Bite

Sustainability is at the heart of FSU’s Farmer’s Market. Vendors at the market have embraced eco-friendly practices to minimize their environmental impact. They’ve introduced various measures, from reducing packaging waste to supporting local and sustainable agriculture. By choosing organic and locally sourced products, shoppers enjoy healthier options and reduce their carbon footprint. This commitment to sustainability ensures that the market is a source of fresh, nutritious food and a champion for environmental consciousness.

The market offers accessible, fresh, and nutrient-dense food options at affordable prices. By providing a convenient location for students to access locally grown produce, the market contributes to reducing the barriers to obtaining healthy food. The new FSU Farmer’s Market is directly helping fight hunger for FSU college students.

Brianna Rogers, the Frenchtown and FSU Farmer’s Markets’ organizer, said that the market “is able to follow through with our commitment to the community by bringing farmers markets to Leon, Jefferson, and Gadsden County to help build the bridge to end food insecurity. Because FSU has over 45,000 students on its campus, with an estimated 20% of them receiving SNAP [Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program] benefits, we figured FSU’s campus would be the perfect place for a farmer’s market that would eventually accept SNAP benefits for those students on campus. Most people do not know this, but the FNIA partners with the government Florida Access Bucks program that doubles the amount of your food stamps up to $80.” This would make the FSU Farmer’s Market only the second place on campus to offer a SNAP/EBT terminal for students to use.

A Hub of Community Engagement

The Farmer’s Market is more than just a place to shop; it’s a hub of community engagement. It’s a space where people come together to learn, share, and connect. The market hosts diverse events and activities, fostering a vibrant and inclusive atmosphere. Whether it’s a new local vendor, a cooking demonstration showcasing the benefits of sustainable eating, or a workshop on sustainable living, there’s always something happening at the market. These events unite FSU students and residents, creating a sense of belonging and unity within the greater Tallahassee community. Local vendors include Vegan Vybz, Smartucci Italian Food, Tally Kombucha, 221B Bakers Treat, and more.

My favorite vendor to visit was Treehouse Permaculture. This vendor shared with Her Campus at FSU that they were excited to share locally grown food and agriculture on our college campus. At the first market on campus, they were selling all kinds of food, including greens, beans, herbs, Mexican sunflowers, and purple sweet potatoes. Amiyah Ware, a junior at FSU who bought some purple potatoes from them, really enjoyed speaking with the vendors themselves. She told Her Campus at FSU, “They were the absolute sweetest and have such a positive mission for the community!”

What Lies Ahead

The Farmer’s Market at FSU’s Integration Statue is not just a short-term trend; it’s a vision for a brighter and more sustainable future. FSU has ambitious plans for its market, with potential expansions and enhancements in the works. The goal is to make it an even more integral part of campus life and the local community. These plans include additional vendor offerings, transitioning to a weekly event, offering SNAP/EBT as an accepted form of payment, and further improvements to accessibility and sustainability practices.

It will be a monthly event scheduled for the last Wednesday of every month. Mark your calendars for Oct. 25 and experience the vibrant atmosphere for yourself. The market’s central location in front of the Integration Statue places it at the heart of the campus, making it easily accessible to everyone. It’s not just a market; it’s an experience waiting to be discovered.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Ariana White is a Tallahassee native and first-generation college student majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Museum Studies and Public Administration at The Florida State University. She is passionate about food justice, women’s rights, arts & culture, and local politics. Ariana has been a staff writer for Her Campus at FSU since January 2021. She has written 20+ articles during her time as a staff writer and leads the column on food sustainability.