FSU circus tent
FSU circus tent
Photo by Meghan Hunt

Flying High Into the FSU Flying High Circus’ Spring Shows

I ran away and joined the circus! Not many people can say that and legitimately mean it, but joining the FSU Flying High Circus quickly became one of the best decisions I have made at FSU. Florida State is lucky to have the circus as part of its campus and community, as it creates a unique creative outlet for many of its students.

The FSU Flying High Circus puts on shows each semester, and the spring show Cosmic is almost here. It’s going to be out of this world!

First: a little background

The FSU Flying High Circus was founded in 1947 by Jack Haskin, and it quickly made FSU stand out from other schools. For over 75 years, the FSU Flying High Circus has been a beloved tradition on campus. FSU is one of two college circuses, but the only college with a big top tent in the U.S.

The FSU Flying High Circus cast is comprised of FSU students ranging from performers to hair/makeup artists, riggers, and tech crew. To be in the cast, students must audition and are then assigned to an act(s) at the start of the fall semester. 

For the whole school year leading up to shows, the cast attends practices to learn new skills and create a routine for spring shows. The cast is supported by several coaches, many of whom are past cast members, who continue to give back to the circus.

When I toured FSU, I remember loving the campus, but one of the main things that made FSU stand out to me was hearing about the FSU Flying High Circus. With a background in gymnastics, I knew the circus was something I wanted to pursue while in college. 

This is my first year in the circus, and I am on the balancing act with two other teammates. The circus community is unlike any other community I have been a part of at FSU, which is one of the reasons why I always look forward to going to the tent for practice!

Cosmic Spring Shows

The theme of the 2024 spring shows for FSU’s Flying High Circus’ is Cosmic. During the show, you will encounter several acts that take place throughout outer space. Some of these acts include jump rope, flying trapeze, web, lyra, Chinese pole, teeterboard, and juggling. 

The performances run three weekends beginning on April 5 through April 20. Tickets can be bought online, and FSU students can get tickets for free with a student ID on a first-come basis. There’s usually a line for students to get in, so come early!

The cast and coaches put a lot of hard work into the spring shows and look forward to sharing this experience with you!

Meet the Cast

What better way to get excited about the spring shows than to meet part of the FSU Flying High Circus cast? Alex Herndon and Izzy Jackson have both been in the circus for two years, and they are my teammates on the balancing act.

In addition to balancing, Herndon is on the web and lyra act. Her motivation to join the circus stemmed from the welcoming and fun environment she saw in the circus community. “My favorite part of being in the circus is the people. I have so much fun with my other castmates, the crew, and the coaches,” she said. “Every day at the tent is full of laughs, and I always look forward to being here.” 

She recommends seeing Cosmic this year because “the spring shows are wild. This is where we get to show off each of our acts that we’ve been working on all year, or for multiple years. The energy from the crowd is insane. They always keep the energy super high for us.”

Jackson has also done the balancing act for two years. She joined her freshman year after she saw a few videos of the circus online and thought it would be a cool experience that she could use her gymnastics background toward. Her favorite part about being in the circus is “getting so close with the other performers that feel like family and being able to entertain the cheering crowd.” 

“Everyone who is part of the circus has worked really hard to be able to show everything they have been learning,” Jackson said. “Each act is full of passion and love, and I think it would make people really happy when watching it.”

FSU would not be the same without the Flying High Circus. The cast and coaches work extremely hard to put on amazing shows that are free for FSU students with a student ID. If you are interested in seeing Cosmic, click here for FSU Flying High Circus’ spring home show dates and tickets.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

My name is Meghan Hunt, and I am a sophomore at Florida State University studying Environmental Science with a double major in Biology. This is my first semester writing for Her Campus, and I am so excited! If I'm not writing or studying, you can find me at practice with the FSU Flying High Circus, at the beach, or a local coffee shop drinking a chai latte.