Deck the (Residence) Halls: Christmas Movies to Watch Based on Your FSU Dorm

Do you need a movie to watch to get you in the holiday mood? Here are my suggestions on what to watch based on the FSU dorm you live in. Grab a blanket, make some hot cocoa, and get ready for a night in with these suggestions!

Azalea/Magnolia: Elf

The magical chaos found within this first-year dorm makes it the perfect choice for a movie whose main character’s energetic and infectious personality lights up the lives of those he encounters. With its built-in resource room located on the first floor that’s open to all RAs and hall councils across campus, there’s always bound to be people tirelessly crafting door decs, creating bulletin boards, and gathering art supplies for fun events to put on to lift spirits across FSU.

Broward: The Holiday

Since it’s the second smallest dorm on campus, it only makes sense for Broward’s holiday movie to be The Holiday. The quiet atmosphere of this upperclassman dorm and its size are similar to Iris Simpkins’s quaint English cottage. It’s impossible not to fall in love with this building the second you step through its front doors or traverse through its beautiful catwalks.

Bryan: It’s a Wonderful Life

Built in 1907, Bryan is the oldest dorm at FSU, and thus deserves the 1946 classic It’s a Wonderful Life. This charming movie is beloved by many and has become a Christmas must-watch for families from all walks of life. Similarly, Bryan has touched so many different people in its years of use and will continue to be a hidden gem on campus.

Cawthon: The Polar Express

Like The Polar Express, Cawthon has always been ahead of its time. This artsy movie from 2004 represents the students who live there perfectly: joyful, creative, spontaneous. Since it houses the Music Living-Learning Community, you can usually hear the idyllic songs played by students floating out the windows, much like how watching this movie will provide you with several mellifluous songs and exciting musical sequences.

Degraff: Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Being the only dorm that’s not directly on campus, the residents of Degraff have to tough out the arduous walks that come with its less-than-ideal location. However, this allows the residents from both Degraff East and Degraff West to form a tight-knit community amongst themselves and make do with their situation. Their sanguine attitudes and reliance on one another are the embodiment of Kevin McCallister’s ability to survive Christmas alone in NYC.

Deviney/Dorman: Arthur Christmas

Much like sibling rivals Arthur and Steve Claus, the Deviney and Dorman complex has always had a fierce rivalry with Azalea and Magnolia, since they’re both the newest dorms that first-year students can choose. While Azalea and Magnolia seem like the obvious choice for most students selecting their dorms (just like the eldest Claus son, Steve, seems to be a shoo-in for the role of Santa Claus once his dad retires), Deviney and Dorman bring the same charm Arthur exhibits to compliment the other complex and bring a one-of-a-kind feeling to all who live there.

Gilchrist: A Christmas Story

Much like Gilchrist, A Christmas Story is timeless. This film has so much heart and soul and is a Christmas necessity, similar to Gilchrist’s original purpose back when FSU used to be an all-women’s dormitory. Walking the halls of this dorm immediately transports you back in time to a decade dominated by swing music and traditional American values. Additionally, its numerous arcades connect to all the historic dorms, making it crucial for the functioning of the surrounding buildings.

Jennie Murphree: The Nightmare Before Christmas

The ambiance of Jennie Murphree has the same spine-tingling sensation you may feel when watching The Nightmare Before Christmas. Between the eerie trees with twisting branches that linger over the dorm and the winding stairwells located inside, this building has a chilling but fun atmosphere. Plus, the allegations of hauntings within this dorm only contribute to all the spooky aspects one can expect to encounter when visiting this hall.

Landis: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Whenever you search for pictures of dorms on campus or see advertisements from FSU Housing, they almost always use a picture of Landis. Located in the center of everything, Landis is known as the heart of the campus. Similar to Rudolph, this residence hall is the leader while the other dorms all take a back seat. With its stunning architecture and ethereal lobby with stained glass windows and tiled flooring, it’s no wonder why Landis is the model dorm.

McCollum: A Charlie Brown Christmas

The exterior of McCollum is similar to the tree in A Charlie Brown Christmas: plain and uninspired. However, as soon as you begin to familiarize yourself with the building, you’ll see what makes this one of the greatest dorms on campus. The fact that it’s an apartment-style dormitory, there’s a plethora of parking, and it’s the only residence hall that has balconies should be enough to convince anyone that McCollum is one of the best-kept secrets at FSU.

Ragans: Little Women

Since three out of the four buildings of Ragans are reserved for upperclassmen only, there’s a more sophisticated feel to this complex. The quiet halls and relaxed vibe from the residents contribute to the calming effect one may experience when walking within the buildings and examining the formality of the expansive courtyard. Whenever you need to get some last-minute studying done, head on over to Ragans to take a break and temporarily escape your fast-paced life.

Reynolds: Miracle on 34th Street

Reynolds, the second oldest dorm on campus, dons striking similarities to the beloved 1947 movie Miracle on 34th Street. Just like Kris Kringle, Reynolds is always competing with the newer dorms to prove that it’s the real deal. Additionally, this dorm’s elegant lobby is timeless, just like the Macy’s in NYC during the early twentieth century.

Rogers: How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

Although it’s not considered to be the most desirable apartment-style dorm by most people, Rogers has so much to offer. The generous living space and friendliness of those sitting at the front desk contribute to the warm feeling that can also be seen with the Whos of Whoville. Just like the Grinch, anyone lucky enough to live in Rogers will have their heart grow three times its original size because of all the love and strong bonds formed between the residents.

Salley: Love Actually

Just like this iconic film, Salley has so much to offer but is often overlooked by many due to the horror stories from survivors of this dorm. However, like the characters in Love Actually, the residents must come together and lean on one another for support during trying times. Because of this, students who live in this dorm end up forming life-long friendships with those they encounter during their first year on campus.

Traditions: A Christmas Carol

Traditions is probably the most coveted dorm on campus due to the sophisticated vibe amongst its upperclassmen residents. A Christmas Carol, based on the book of the same name written by Charles Dickens, is similar to Traditions because it’s considered a treasure among so many different students at FSU. Its charm is undeniable, and the magic one experiences while living in this dorm is truly unmatched.

Wildwood: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Wildwood is known for being the life of the party due to its propinquity to Doak Campbell Stadium and the practice field where the Marching Chiefs work tirelessly to perfect their playing and formations for halftime shows. Living in this dormitory is sure to provide its residents with exciting adventures and fun experiences, much like the craziness within the Griswold household during Christmas in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.

With the holidays right around the corner, these classic movies are perfect for prepping for winter break. Whenever you find time between studying for finals and finishing up your classes this semester, take some time to watch some of these films. You won’t regret it!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Hello! My name is Elle Lazare, and I’m from Rockledge, Florida! I’m a Psychology major at Florida State University. I love playing tennis, reading books, attending all of the football games at FSU, and watching horror movies. I’m so excited to be a member of Her Campus and cannot wait to share my writing with you all!