Dear Sigma Delta Tau (SDT) at Florida State University (FSU),

Three and a half years ago I joined this chapter, and little did I know how it would affect my life. I never thought I would be able to understand how a sorority could create endless memories and give me some of the most supportive friends that I have ever met. But now, as I start to near the end of college, I understand it better than ever before. 

One of the best things you have given me has been the opportunity to develop amazing friendships with people that I would have never met otherwise. I have found some of my best friends through you, people who are always there to celebrate the happy moments and comfort me through the tough ones. They broke me out of my shell and have helped me make those small moments into great memories. From my amazing sorority fam, to sisters I unknowingly met so many years before, to those who even became my roommates and neighbors, the friends I have made here have taught me what true friendship looks like. I know they will be there for the long run. Without this chapter, I would have never met these strangers who have turned into my sisters.

@fsusdt

Happy Thanksgiving🤎 We can’t wait to be back with our sisters soon! #sdt #thanksgiving #grateful #sigmadeltatauforever

♬ original sound – SIGMA DELTA TAU

These wonderful people were also the ones who helped me grow as a person. Everyone talks about the change that happens between high school and college, but there is no one way to describe how that transition may take place. I was lucky enough to have people and a chapter who made that transition easy. I was able to grow as a person without leaving my core beliefs behind. Along each step of the way, I had my friends who were experiencing the same growth. I grew out of my shell, spoke up more, and became so much more confident. None of this would have come as easily without SDT and with my sisters by my side.

On top of everything, you have also given me the opportunity to grow as not only a person but as a leader as well. I was never one who shied away from being an active member of an organization, but when I got to college I wasn’t sure where I wanted to be a leader; that was until SDT gave me the chance. I went from being a freshman holding a chair position to a sophomore on the executive board in what felt like no time. I got to experience what it was like to help my chapter grow in the ways that it was helping me grow. Being Vice President of Scholarship for this chapter made me feel like I could finally give back to the people who had done so much for me. Whether it was standing up there every week at chapter, studying at our study parties together or even planning Alumnae Weekend with my Little, I had a blast, and I am so thankful for that opportunity.

Whether it has been a trip to Universal, building teddy bears at the house, or simply going to meals, every moment with SDT has been one that is unforgettable. You have made my time here at FSU so much more special and have given me a place to go whenever I have needed anyone or anything. Thank you SDT for taking a chance with me and giving me so much over the past few years. I am so excited to see what this last semester has in store and as always, thank you for being my sisters.

With love,

Lauren Bilkis 

M.C. 20

Lauren is a Senior at Florida State University double majoring in Business Management and Marketing with a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading, traveling and spending time with her friends and family.