Campus Cook with Medical Dreams: Meet Jonny Carbungco

Jonathan Carbungco is a sophomore psychology major on a pre-med track seeking a minor in biology and chemistry. Coming from St. Petersburg Florida, Jonny started his collegiate career at Florida International University in Miami. He chose the school initially because of the affection he developed in the area from his many childhood visits to see his grandparents and other relatives in the South Florida City.

“Miami had beautiful weather, good times with family, and some of the best Cuban food you’ll ever eat, but ultimately I wanted a more traditional college experience like many of my friends were having, so that’s when I decided to make the move to FSU.”

Jonny now lives with close friends he knows from childhood and high school, and claims that he brought the mojo to FSU football (although he fails to explain why he didn’t bring the same luck to the FIU Panthers).

He is an active member of Aspiring Medical Professionals (AMP) a major pre-health club on campus, and volunteers with Alzheimer’s patients.  On top of all of this, he is in the Pi Eta Sigma honor society and National Society of Collegiate Scholars. He hopes that these clubs and organizations will help him make connections, and will show his active interest in pursuing a medical degree and being able to practice as a family doctor.

“If I had to say where I’d be in five years, I would hope I’d be in medical school,” Jonathan says. “It’s a daunting process, but it’s what I’ve always wanted and I know I am capable of making it.”

Despite all of this activity and an intimidating class schedule that includes Organic Chemistry and Genetics, Jonny makes sure that he has time for his close friends, time to teach himself about developments in tech fields, his family, and time to teach himself the ukulele. Jonathan grew up very close to a large extended family all over the state and says, “I’ll probably try and stay in Florida when I go to med school but I also want to practice here too.”

His friends describe him as a self-driven individual with well developed life goals, and is willing to help whenever he is needed. “If you were a girl, he’d be the guy you want to bring home to your mother,” a close friend says.  Jonny frequently helps his friends when they are having computer troubles, or other technical issues, and when you ask him about learning ukulele he smiles. “I’m definitely still a beginner working on the chord changes, and I hate singing in front of people, but as far as instruments go it’s pretty easy to learn.”  

You may know Jonny best from flipping the wok, serving your food, or working at the register at Miso in the food court of the Oglesby Student Union. His roommate worked there last year, and got him and another one of their roommates a job there during the fall. He says he likes the work and his boss, and loves the chance to work with his friends. “The free food doesn’t hurt either,” he jokes. He works four days a week, so next time you feel a hankering for sushi or Chinese food, make sure you stop by for a visit!  

Amanda is a Senior at Florida State University who loves writing about local Tallahassee culture, anything fashion related, and tips to help all college girls live a happy & healthy lifestyle! She also has her own blog, www.affordablebyamanda.com where she talks about beauty, lifestyle, fashion and college related tips!
Her Campus at Florida State University.