Campus Celebrity: Megan Elliott

As finals come to a close and summer is just around the corner, seniors are preparing to make their final jump into the real world: graduation. Her Campus is proud to say goodbye and good luck to one of our members who will be graduating next week. Megan Elliott began writing for Her Campus during her last semester, eventually becoming the PR director. She is 23 and will be graduating with a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing, and Media. Despite the busy end of the year goings-on, we were able to get a few of Megan’s thoughts on her impending graduation.

Her Campus: Do you plan to stay in Tallahassee or will you move to a different city or state?
Megan Elliott:  I will most likely stay in Florida, at least for the next year or so. My dad just moved to Florida, so I would like to stay close to him. I also know a lot of people in the state, so that can also help me in my career. After a few years of career experience I would be open to moving pretty much anywhere. My first choices would be somewhere warm, but NYC would be awesome too!

HC: Do you have a job lined up for after graduation?
Megan: I have 2 internships that I will complete over the summer. One is a paid internship in ad sales where I will be working 9-5 and the other is writing for the online magazine, JAYE. This internship will continue into a job after the summer, but since it is virtual, I will get another job as well. I am also in talks to do ad sales for JAYE as well as create ads. I write a monthly advice column and a monthly beauty report for the mag. I am searching for jobs now and it is so scary and stressful! I am also thinking about getting my Masters in Communications.

HC: Did writing for HC help you get the job?
Megan: Writing for Her Campus has definitely helped me get those two internships! It gave me experience outside the classroom as well as a platform to have my work published by an accredited source. I also was able to gain Public Relations experience and leadership experience in my position as Director of Public Relations for Her Campus FSU, which employers really appreciate.

HC: What was your most valuable experience at FSU and at HC?
Megan:  My most valuable experience at FSU was just being able to meet and make friends with so many different people. I always moved around a lot when I was younger, so I used to be really shy. Coming to college has helped me be more outgoing and unafraid of what people will think about me. Now I love talking to everyone and making friends, which has led me to go into the field of advertising and PR. Her Campus definitely helped me solidify that. I got some PR experience, as well as honed my leadership skills. I also got a lot more writing experience. My favorite article was the Campus Celebrity article on Chris Singleton (who just announced he’s entering the NBA draft, congrats Chris!) because it was my first time writing for HC and it was my first interview ever! I think the article turned out great and I realized how much I like interviewing.

HC: What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?
Megan: My greatest accomplishment is, first of all, just graduating from FSU! I will be the first person on my dad’s side of the family to graduate, so I am proud of myself for that. I am also very glad to say that for my paid internship, hundreds upon hundreds of people applied, but I was one of three chosen in Tallahassee.

HC: How have you changed over your four years of college?
Megan: I have definitely changed a lot over the past four years of college! I have grown and matured so much it’s unbelievable. I had NO idea what I wanted to do with my life when I was 18, but FSU has helped me find what I was born to do. I changed my major about 5 times before deciding on English and International Affairs, but the journey has made me who I am so I’m glad everything happened the way it did. There is nothing I would change at all! I really had the most amazing experience at FSU and I think everything happened exactly how it was supposed to. I would have liked to join Her Campus earlier, but I think I still got a good amount of experience in the time I was there.

HC: Are you where you thought you’d be freshman year?
 Megan: I think I’m doing a lot better than I thought I would. I have really gained a lot of confidence and experience in my field and I definitely feel prepared to go into the work force.

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?
 Megan: I have no idea, but I don’t want to think about being in my 30s!

HC: What about graduation are you most nervous about?
 Megan: I am most nervous about not being in school anymore. I have gotten so used to it and working full time will be a huge change for me. I think my internships will help me get accustomed to it, though.

HC: How do you plan to overcome that?
Megan: I guess I just have to go for it. I’ll be fine; it’s just a big change and it scares me!

HC: Any advice to incoming freshmen?
Megan: It’s ok if you don’t know what you want to do yet! Everything will fall into place. And take as long as you need because once you graduate, you’ll wish you were a freshman again!

Viviana Victoria is a sophomore at the Florida State University, class of 2013, double majoring in Retail Merchandising & Product Development and the new English track offered at FSU, editing, writing, and media. Born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida, moving up to Tallahassee was quite a change. During her first year in college, after changing her major three times, she was fortunate enough to discover her passion for writing this early on. Her goal is to write for a major fashion magazine or to be a screenplay writer in the future. She is an active member of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) at FSU, as well as a contributing writer of College Magazine, an advice publication for college students founded by a graduate student of Maryland. Some of her interests include playing sports, reading, working out, and basically having a good time. Her ultimate life goal is to touch lives and to be remembered as the girl who always made people smile regardless of what was thrown her way.