Campus Celebrity: Dr. Laura Osteen

Dr. Osteen’s Twitter bio reads as follows: “My thoughts may, but I cannot be, defined in 140 characters,” and boy, is that true.  I don’t even think that this article can come close to defining this incredible woman.

Dr. Laura Osteen, lovingly called Dr. O, is the Director of the Center for Leadership and Social Change and serves as a role model and mentor for many of the students who walk through Dunlap’s glass doors. Her accolades are extensive: the Uphold the Garnet and Gold Award; a Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Maryland, College Park; and member of the Leadership Identity Development (LID) research team. 

These accolades, however, are not what make her a campus celebrity. It’s her passion for Florida State students, social issues, change agent development, and her overwhelming love for every person that she meets, that makes her a celebrity.

Ask anyone who has ever spoken with Dr. O and they will tell you that she is one of the most kind and loving people you will ever meet. When you speak to her, it’s like you and her are the only people that matter in the world.  She takes the time to listen to, care about, and support you. And it doesn’t matter how long you spend sitting in her office talking – she has time. Sometimes, she even takes you to the kitchen down the hall from her office and gives you ice cream. (Talk about the best office hours ever!)

Another incredible thing about Dr. O is her leadership and passion for social change. The Social Justice Living Learning Community, a program for freshmen that focuses on change agent development, is her brainchild. The program was founded in 2007, very soon after her arrival at Florida State University.  Mark Zeigler, a communications professor who teaches a public speaking class available only to community members, said that he made a career-long commitment once he started in 2007. “I just really enjoyed the caliber of students that were in the program that first year, and they have been of high caliber every year since.” His praise for Dr. O is high, as well, “any time you get a chance to work on something that Laura Osteen has developed, you say yes.” 

Coming up this month is the Women’s Leadership Institute, another program in which Dr. O is highly involved. The Institute seeks to teach the accepted female students about their identity as women, and how to overcome the challenges of being a woman in a society where we struggle to break glass ceilings and be a boss without being called a “bitch.” A recent email to the participants began with the salutation, “Good Morning Wonderful FSU Women.” I personally cannot wait to participate in the institute and work more closely with Dr. O.

If you ever get the chance to meet or work with Dr. O, you have encountered one of the most wonderful, authentic, kind, and intelligent women on our campus. She is a celebrity in every right, and an absolute blessing to Florida State University.

Her Campus writer Fall '14 Editing, Writing, and Media Major Marching Chief Social Justice LLC member
Her Campus at Florida State University.