Campus Celebrity: Andrew Gallagher

Age: 20

Major: Editing Writing and Media and Social Science with minors in Communications and Social Welfare and Certificate in Leadership Studies

Year: Junior

Hometown: Coconut Creek, FL

Her Campus (HC): Did you always want to come to FSU?

Andrew Gallagher (AG): No actually, I really wanted to go out of state, specifically to New York. I applied to only three schools in Florida, compared to the seven I applied to in the “Big Apple” but with out-of-state tuition and my parents’ fear of me never coming home, staying in Florida was the best choice. However, I still wanted to get as far as I could and Tallahassee is pretty far from South Florida.

HC: What are some of the things you are involved with at FSU?AG: I currently serve as a Resident Assistant (RA) in Reynolds Hall, and I am a 2015 Orientation Leader. I also serve as the Vice Chair for the Student Organizations Advisory and Resource (SOAR) Board, an Internal Fundraising Assistant for Dance Marathon, and I was the Performance Director for the 2015 Homecoming Celebration.

HC: You were a big part of the homecoming committee; what were some of your responsibilities?AG: I served as the Performance Director on the 2015 Homecoming Executive Council. For this position, it was my job to oversee the Performance Committee, which consisted of our Talent chair who helped us in finding student talent for two Homecoming events, Spear-It Night and Skit Night. I also was in charge of organizing auditions and working with the student performances for Pow Wow.

HC: Do you ever feel challenged by some of the jobs you’ve had to do?AG: I definitely had some challenging times during this past year. Working with such diverse talent, there is always going to be different communication styles and getting large groups to all be one can be difficult. However, it is all about adaptability and striving for the groups to see how much their presence means to the overall presentation of the show in producing such spectacular events.

HC: What is the striving factor for you here at FSU?AG: The striving factor for me at FSU is definitely the commitment to the pursuit of bettering oneself to impact others. Throughout my difference experiences, I have learned that unless you are doing activities that you love and are willing to put your heart and soul into, you will only end up hurting others and especially yourself. This campus offers so many opportunities for us to learn and grow and it’s not about doing everything, but doing what is best for you.

HC: Do you feel like you are able to balance all the responsibilities on campus; doing schoolwork, and having a social life?AG: I think balance is key to success in any situation. I felt for a long time I was going to resent being too involved or not being involved enough. However, I have worked really hard to make sure that I enjoy every moment of my time here at FSU and it is really because I have gotten involved in meaningful experience that have brought me a social life of genuine individuals who work hard and play hard. My involvement also has GPA requirements, so those experiences work as my motivation to do well in school.

HC: What do you do to balance?AG: My calendar is everything. I use a digital calendar synced with my phone, iPad, and laptop. It doesn’t matter what the event or assignment; if it isn’t on my drives it isn’t going to happen. I also plan out free time for myself like seeing friends, working out, and just relaxing because I can’t be my best without taking time or myself.

HC: What are some upcoming projects that you will be involved with?

AG: As a RA, I serve on the Student Leadership Development Committee and this means I help plan RA Selection Weekend, which is where those who are applying to be RAs go through the interview process. Also Dance Marathon, which is happening in February, will be a major event, as during the event the team I am a part of runs the fundraisers that are on site to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network.

HC: In the events of the tragic incident that happened on the 20th, how do you feel about FSU coming together as a community?AG: I think nothing else strikes as much fear because of just how shocking it was. All I hear from the people around me is that FSU is their “home.” Not “home away from home,” but just “home.” I think our campus coming together is just another representation of that home feeling because of how strong that sense of family is. I don’t know how long it will take for that feeling of fear to go away, but as unfortunate as it is, those two students didn’t get injured for being afraid. They got hurt for having courage just like we all have courage. You leave your house every day not ignorant to the dangers around you, but confidant that you will be safe where you’re going. Don’t allow this to make FSU, a place that so many consider home, to be a place of fear. You have so many that care about you on campus and off campus, and nothing, not even this incident is going to take that away from you.

HC: Do you feel that we as a school are closer than before?

AG: I think fear, sadness and tragedy bring people closer together for a short time to mourn and reflect. However, the feeling at Florida State University is like we say, “Unconquered.” We may be beaten down by ESPN, by this incident, and by any other issue, but it only makes us stronger as a Seminole Family. We understand that life doesn’t just go on but we live on to bleed garnet and gold and show everyone that the strength of our spirit as Seminoles can never be broken down.

HC: How about the outpouring support from other rival universities?AG: To be honest, if other universities didn’t reach out, I think that would be just morally wrong. I think the outpouring love just shows that regardless of football or university stigmas, we are all people and not just for one day but forever that feeling of connection should unite as one. We need to be supportive and heartfelt toward one another no matter the cause to show that as people we can face anything.

HC: What do you hope for, for a brighter future at FSU?AG: In general, I hope that FSU continues this path of being student-centered. We have so many opportunities here for students and it’s all because our administration works consistently to give us the chance to speak on what we want. I feel that the future shines as bright as our three torches, ensuring that the caliber of what it means to be a Florida State University Seminole proves to everyone that you can do anything and success just comes with the Unconquered territory.

Senior in Creative Writing at FSU. Aspiring journalist/novelist/world traveler. She can be seen binge watching Netflix through the broken blinds of her window and scarfing down large personal pizzas from Papa Johns. Her hobbies include being introverted, having a romantic love affair with Ben & Jerry (scandalous!), playing with people's pets at their houses instead of actually communicating with anyone, and sending brilliantly funny snapchats to her friends list.
Her Campus at Florida State University.