Campus Celeb Morgan McDowell Exemplifies A True Leader

Name: Morgan McDowell

Year: Junior

Major: Exercise Science with a minor in Child Development

Hometown: The Villages, FL

Involvement: President of Alpha Omicron Pi, Founder and President of Saving Smiles FSU, Pre-Dental Society, Garnet and Gold Guides, Seminole Torchbearer

Her Campus (HC): What has it been like to lead Florida State’s newest sorority for the past semester?

Morgan McDowell (MM): It has been a range of every emotion a human can experience! I never dreamt it would have such an impact on who I am becoming as a person. Our sisters make the role such a joy. I am truly blessed to be able to serve our chapter, and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

HC: How do you think this has changed you as an individual and your time here at Florida State?

MM: My sisters are constantly molding me into a better person. They love and support me as a sister, of course, but the best part about it is that they love and support my dreams too. We are constantly pushing one another to “maximize” our lives. They want me to fight for my dreams, live a life that impacts others positively, and stay true to who I am and who I want to be. We encourage one another to avoid complacency within our lives. That not only makes a difference in our personal lives but the lives of those around us.

HC: Tell me a little bit about how you got involved in Garnet and Gold Guides.

MM: One of our sisters, Courtney Franks, was a GGG for two years. Courtney and I have similar personalities and I remember thinking to myself that if she loves it so much, there’s a huge chance I will too. We sat down for lunch at Panera one day and ended up talking about it for hours. I wanted it so bad, and when I was driving to the interview my heart was racing! But immediately after walking in, I knew I had found a group of people who were just as passionate about FSU and football. It felt so natural being with them.

HC: What is the best part about being a Garnet and Gold Guide?

MM: The food! Just kidding (but actually…) I love it when a high school student comes to Florida State, with practically no knowledge of our university, and I watch him fall in love with it. Game days at Florida State are right next to Christmas day in my book! By the end of the day, if the recruit leaves with stars in his eyes and is asking his parents when he can come back, my heart is full!

HC: Tell me a little bit more about the Pre-Dental Society and Saving Smiles.

MM: When I transferred from Auburn, I was able to immediately join the Pre-Dental Society here and the other members were totally my first friends at Florida State! I planned a trip for Florida State’s pre-dental students to Nicaragua last year where we were able to construct dental clinics in underserved areas. We also were able to assist at Missions of Mercy Florida, which was an event held in Tampa that provided millions of dollars worth of free dental care to Florida residents. After coordinating those trips, I realized there was a need for an organization solely dedicated to managing the dental community service projects we were starting; sort of a “sister” to the Pre-Dental Society. Thus, Saving Smiles FSU was born! We have been serving in Tallahassee homeless shelters and elementary schools and plan to go to Panama this spring to set up more dental clinics. Saving Smiles is my heart and soul. When I am doing anything dental related; whether it be showing kindergartners how to brush or using the Cavitron on a patient in Nicaragua, I feel like I am doing what I am called to do in life. It is a feeling of complete satisfaction.

HC: With everything going on, it must be difficult to stay organized.  What’s your best tip for staying on top of all of your commitments?

MM: I’m not sure what life would be like without my Kate Spade planner!  However, over the past couple of years, I have learned that simplifying is key. We have been taught by society that more is better and so we shovel as much as we possibly can on our plate thinking it will please not only us but also those watching our lives. Finding out what your passions are and letting go of the other things in life that don’t bring happiness will ensure that you are investing your energy where you should. Remember what is important to you (or who, rather) and think about what has made you happiest. Be with those people and do those things, and if you’ve chosen them well, they will coincide with the goals you have set for yourself and push you to get there.

HC: What’s your favorite way to unwind?

MM: Depends on the level of stress! Mildly stressed: pet my cat Chrissy and golden retriever Chief. Moderately stressed: attack the source (typically organic chemistry) by sitting in Dirac Library until I’ve done everything in my power to alleviate it. Highly stressed: read my Bible and pray until I have reminded myself that our God has carefully constructed my journey, and if it needs to rain on the way to get where He has me going, I will walk through it willingly.

HC: If you could change anything about your time at FSU, what would it be and why?

MM: I would be lying if I told you that there are not times I wish I could take back. I’m a twenty-one year old girl (excuse me, woman) with a heck of a lot to learn. Isn’t that what college is for? FSU has given me my fair share of bruises: I was turned down for positions I applied for, failed exam(s), and have cried a multitude of times in the basement of the library for a plethora of reasons. But thanks for that FSU, because you’ve grown me up.  You delivered the most rewarding college experience I could have asked for, and for that I am extremely grateful.

Her Campus at Florida State University.