Bored & Broke? Ball on a Budget With These FSU Campus Activities Under $10

If you clicked on this article, then chances are you’ve encountered the universal college experience of getting bored but not having enough money to throw out the door for entertainment. You pace around your dorm, scroll on your phone, and pretend not to think about that essay that’s due Monday, but at the end of it, you’re still in the same state you were an hour ago. I get it. I’ve been there so many times, which is why I’ve literally tried everything this campus has to offer.

Today, I’m going to give you my expert advice on what’s hot (and cheap) at FSU. After all, we chronically restless girlies need to look out for each other. So, join me as I travel every corner of the campus, from the Student Union to the stadium, to find the best activities available for under $10. Also, Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, so you might want to take notes for potential date spots. Either way, time is money, so let’s dive right into the action.

student life center

Is there anything better than going to the cinema? With fresh popcorn, comfy chairs, and a movie featuring your latest celebrity crush, life really couldn’t get any better… until you look at the hit your bank account just took. Movies have become outrageously expensive (she said like a 60-year-old man), which is why the Student Life Center (SLC) is actually my hero.

Located in front of the Leach, the SLC contains a legit theater that plays multiple movies a week, and the best part is, they’re all totally free to students. They even have their own concessions, with popcorn priced at around $4 a bag. Compared with the $10 medium bag at the local AMC, it’s a crazy steal.

If you’re more into hands-on activities, the SLC also offers videogame nights and has a whole Paint-A-Pot area, where the pottery starts at just $5. Basically, it has something for everyone and is a total slay.

bowling

I’m going to be real with you: I may be the world’s worst bowler, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate a $3 activity located right in our very own Student Union. You have to admit, it’s a pretty unique amenity, or at least that’s what my brother tells me when he visits. Regardless, it’s a great spot for a Friday night hangout and you will literally be balling on a budget (brilliant, I know).

club downunder

We next come to my personal favorite feature of FSU: Club Downunder (CDU). Also located in the Student Union, the CDU is a budget’s best friend. This organization puts on a variety of different events, such as concerts, game nights, trivia, karaoke, and even line dancing. The best part is everything is totally free, or at least paid for in your tuition as my friend painfully reminds me. Regardless, do yourself the biggest favor and follow their Instagram right now. Your boredom will be instantly cured.

circus & campus sports

When it comes to entertainment in college, nothing’s more obvious than Seminole football games (RIP Fall 2023 football season). However, there’s still plenty to see and do in the spring semester as well. For example, it’s currently basketball season, which is objectively the best sport to watch (can’t argue with the truth). Baseball is also coming up, so get ready to break out the ol’ cracker jacks and peanuts. Of course, all home game tickets are free to students and a great way to spend a Saturday.

Finally, I can’t forget to mention FSU’s crowning achievement (in my eyes anyway): the Flying High Circus. Not only is this one of the only college circus programs in America, but tickets are also totally free to students. And trust, this isn’t some hobby show, but the real deal acrobatic experience. I’m not lying; the Halloween show actually had me mesmerized. Make sure you keep your eyes peeled for the April shows, as this isn’t something you want to miss.

If boredom’s been driving you crazy, I hope you give a couple of these recommendations a try. It’s only a taste of everything there is to do here, but I’ll let you explore the rest for yourself. Like I said, time is money, so you better get started.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Emma Sofianos is a column writer at the Her Campus Chapter in Tallahassee, Florida. She is currently a junior at Florida State University, double majoring in English-Editing, Writing, & Media, and Communications-Advertising. She writes about a range of topics, including culture and lifestyle. Follow her for the latest on movies, books, and music news or for college life and travel tips. In her spare time, Emma is often playing her current favorite song on repeat or on the lookout for the next big movie. She's always planning her next travel adventure and her ideal day is spent in a cafe with a book, her besties, and a chai latte.