Career > Work

Behind the Scenes With Her Campus Editor Katrina Oro 

Her Campus is an international online publication that allows female college students to express themselves and learn who they are. With a wide variety of topics to choose from, it gives them the freedom to write whatever they choose. At Florida State University (FSU), it is known to be an elite chapter, with the most content being published by this program. Along with the incredible writers on the team, the staff members, editors and the social media team all help to make the magic happen. Editor Katrina Oro is here today to speak on what she does behind the scenes and her essential role as an editor.  

Her Campus (HC): Thank you for letting me interview you! Please introduce yourself and how you got started with Her Campus.  

Katrina Oro (KO): I appreciate you interviewing me! I’m Katrina Oro, a sophomore majoring in Editing, Writing and Media, minoring in Textiles and Apparel Entrepreneurship. I joined HC during my Freshman Spring semester of 2021. I wanted to join a publication that allowed me to write freely about topics. After researching HC, I realized it was the platform closest to what I wanted.  

HC: Her Campus at FSU is an excellent organization with amazing people involved. Do you work for any other publications? If you do, how are they different from Her Campus?  

KO: I do! I’m currently a photographer for Strike Magazine at FSU. It’s completely different from what I do at HC. For Strike, I work with models and photoshoot staff to help bring visions to life through photography. At HC, I focus more on the publishing side of the print. I first used to write articles, but now I edit them. I proofread articles written by Staff Writers in the publication, then upload them on the HC website. It’s much different from photography, but both have taught me the importance of working with a team, meeting deadlines and adapting to unexpected situations.   

HC: I love how you get both sides, the photography side and the writing and editing aspects. It makes you more aware and diverse when it comes to magazine production! With editing for HC, how is it different and/or similar to writing for Her Campus?  

KO: It’s a lot of fun to be involved with both sides! I just started this semester as an editor, so I can’t say much. However, the process is entirely different from writing. Instead of coming up with topics and writing full articles, I now have to read and edit pre-written articles by staff. I prefer editing because it requires close attention to detail, which I find very fulfilling. In addition, I work with existing content, and my job is to help improve it. Overall, it’s a pretty meaningful way to engage with the text.

HC:  It’s great that you help our articles become the best they can be. Did you have any prior experience, or is this your first time being an editor for an organization?  

KO: I was very dedicated to my high school’s Yearbook and Speech and Debate team. I was a staffer for the yearbook. Sometimes, I had to edit content before the book got published and distributed. For Speech and Debate, I held captain positions for two speech events, so helping to write and edit other students’ speeches before they competed was a huge part of my role.  

HC: It’s excellent that you know your role’s importance and contributions. How do you organize and prioritize articles while being a full-time student? Do you have a system or process for how you edit? 

KO: I’m very proud of my background, as it definitely helps me now as an editor. Regarding the system I have, I don’t have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I aim to get my schoolwork done on those days. In my mindset, I always need to get my schoolwork done as early as possible. Then, by the time Friday hits, I have plenty of time to edit articles for HC. When I edit, I first do a rough edit where I go through the article and fix any grammar mistakes or reword any sentences that may require it. Then, I’ll go through it again to catch anything I may have missed. Once I’m finished, I’ll draft it onto the HC website and reread it. It usually takes me about an hour to complete my editing process for a single article. Sometimes, I’ll re-read the article again right before it gets published just to make sure everything is as it should be.  

HC: A system is crucial so it doesn’t get too overwhelming. What is your favorite part of editing? What’s the most critical aspect of being an editor?  

KO: My favorite part of editing is being able to do it in the comfort of wherever I please! I usually edit articles in bed or go on campus and sit in the student union when I want to feel productive. Catching mistakes is the majority of what we do! So it’s essential to be meticulous and notice even the most minor errors. Other than that, being adaptable is a pretty beneficial aspect. Writers have different styles of writing, and there are many different genres and formats, so being open to new ideas and perspectives is crucial.  

HC: I’m glad the writer’s voice is still present, even when editors make changes to ensure it flows appropriately. That is so important in writing. Lastly, what advice would you give an aspiring editor and a writer on your team? 

KO: My main advice for someone who wishes to be an editor would be to make sure you have the time for it. HCFSU is an elite chapter of HC, so the standards may be something newcomers aren’t used to. Whether becoming a writer or editor, HC requires some of your time. Same for my writers, it’s important to remember to manage your time wisely. I know how stressful it can be to write an article at the last minute or even come up with a topic. However, your week will feel lighter once you find the time to complete the articles.  

For any FSU students interested in joining Her Campus, the staff writer application opens at the beginning of every semester. To become an editor, you must first complete at least one semester of being a staff writer. 

This interview was edited for length and clarity.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

Sophomore at Florida State University, majoring in Nursing. Learning what life is like, while trying to be brave and writing along the way. Follow me on Instagram @a.kkhoja <3