The SLC’s Art Odyssey Events Will Help You Stay Artistically Fulfilled

When shifting from the structured, mandatory art classes included in most high schools to the often overwhelmingly academic nature of college, it can be difficult to stay engaged in the arts. However, FSU’s Student Life Center (SLC) is consistently gifting the students of FSU free opportunities to keep themselves creatively engaged! The “Art Odyssey” event hosted by the SLC consists of three events throughout February which any student can take part in regardless of skill level. 

The odyssey begins with the “Bob Ross Paint Along” on Feb. 13 at 5 p.m. in the Commons Courtyard, where participants will follow along to one of Bob Ross’s calming tutorials. This event is in collaboration with the Student Art Studio for Healing because of the anxiety-reducing effect of painting landscapes to the sedative instruction of Bob Ross while taking in the fresh air of the outdoors. The joy that can be garnered from Ross’ “The Joy of Painting” cannot be understated.

The second event is the “Painting Party” on Feb. 20 at 5 p.m. in the Commons Courtyard in collaboration with the FSU Art Society. This activity consists of students painting whatever their heart desires. You don’t need to be “good” at art by any means to take part in this event. It’s always a great feeling to be able to let loose on a canvas and exhibit your imaginative ideas in a creative and emotionally fulfilling way. Painting without limits is an experience most people haven’t had since childhood, so this may allow you to unleash you inner child and get messy with boundless art supplies at your fingertips.

Last is the much anticipated “Gallery Grand Finale” on Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. in the Askew Student Life Center. This is where all the art that has been lovingly created by students during these prior events will be displayed for everyone to see, but if you weren’t able to attend these events, don’t fret! The SLC Instagram will be accepting digital and physical art submissions to be shown at the pop-up gallery and in the corresponding art showing. The digital art submitted will be shown in the Student Life Cinema from 6 to 8 p.m. Submissions can include short films, photography, sculptures, textiles, crafts, poetry, and more! 

It’s a highly rewarding feeling to see something you created on display for others to admire. Also, you’ll be able to walk around and ogle at the creativity of fellow students, maybe even meeting some like-minded artistic individuals. Once the pop-up gallery has concluded, you’ll be able to retrieve any works you’ve created and proudly display them in your home.

This “Art Odyssey” is far from the only event that the SLC puts on to keep FSU students artistically engaged. They host multiple film showings every week, many of which have themed events corresponding to them. For example, the epic Halloween showings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show contained interactive experiences, such as actors performing a raunchy preshow with audience volunteers and a goody bag full of silly props given to all attendees to be used at specific points of the movie.

Along with showing a variety of films, the SLC hosts regular gaming events such as “Multiplayer Monday,” where the Game Committee hosts tabletop games such as the fantasy roleplaying game Dungeons & Dragons nearly every week.

Oh, and did I mention that all these events are completely free?!

The SLC does a fantastic job of providing an artistic outlet for students at FSU, which I’ve found to be exceptionally helpful when you have an overbearing academic schedule. Therefore, I would highly recommend utilizing these events to keep your imaginative spirit alive and well. Keep FSU artsy!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Grace Myatt is a Freshman writer at Florida State University's chapter of Her Campus. She covers topics from fashion to music to local news! She is a student at Florida State University who is the Director of Community Service at Alpha Gamma Delta where she assists in planning volunteer events that coincide with AGD's mission of fighting hunger. Along with writing for Her Campus, she is a news staffer for the FSView, FSU's local newspaper which is professionally published under the Gannett Company and covers on-campus events along with state politics. She is currently working to obtain a degree in English: Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Philosophy. When it comes to her hobbies, Grace adores makeup and fashion. She loves to create out-of-the-box looks on her face and also creates eclectic outfits to share on social media. She also loves movies and music and finds much joy in analyzing these types of media. Overall, she has a fond appreciation for all types of art and intends to share this love through her writing.