A Senior’s Guide to 4 FSU Traditions

Although being a student at Florida State University had always been a dream of mine, my freshman year self never anticipated that I’d feel so grateful and proud to be a Florida State Seminole. As a senior, I’ve been reflecting on some of my favorite moments these past four years, and several of them include moments where I got to partake in activities that are unique to Florida State. Here are some traditions that I believe make FSU college life so special!

1. College Town Block Parties

One of the most exciting traditions revolving around Florida State’s football season is the Friday Night Block Parties in College Town. College Town is located on Madison Street and is known as a Tallahassee hotspot for nightlife. You can explore fun restaurants, bars, and vendors. Every Friday night before home football games, College Town hosts a tailgate party featuring a musical guest, the FSU cheerleading squad, and the FSU Marching Chiefs. My favorite aspect of these parties is that they welcome FSU fans of all ages brimming with Seminole spirit! 

2. FSU War Chant

The FSU War Chant and Tomahawk Chop is another cherished tradition that is at the core of Florida State athletics. If you’ve ever been to a Seminole sporting event, you’ve experienced the crowd’s enthusiasm for the distinctive and rhythmic tune of the war chant.

During home football games, the war chant can be heard in its largest and loudest form. It’s one of the most memorable moments of attending a game. Outside of sporting events, the war chant and chop is a lively tradition that unites Seminole fans from all places. Even something as simple as wearing my FSU sweatshirt in my hometown will lead a stranger to yell “Go Noles!” at me and do the chop. 

3. Chief Osceola and Renegade

Sticking to the theme of Florida State Football, we have one of the most well-known and unique college football entrances. At the beginning of each game, a student portraying Chief Osceola rides in on the beloved horse Renegade and plants a spear in the center of the field right before kickoff. Whenever the team scores a touchdown, Chief Osceola and Renegade make a celebratory appearance on the field. This tradition is blessed by the Seminole Tribe of Florida and is one of the ways that the university showcases the unconquered Seminole spirit.

4. Westcott Fountain Throw

One of the more cherished traditions that is not related to the football team (can you tell I love FSU football?) is the act of throwing students into the historic Westcott Fountain at the midnight of their 21st birthday. Every night, groups of students gather around the fountain to watch their friends get thrown in, make a lap around it, and then pop a bottle of champagne.

Recently, this tradition has been challenged due to safety concerns and frequent closures. FSU Student Affairs has worked to keep the fountain open by encouraging safety procedures, like no climbing the fountain and using a koozie for the champagne bottles. As someone who’s not a huge fan of birthdays, I can attest that celebrating your 21st birthday at FSU will make for one of the most memorable and joyous birthdays! 

These are only a few of my own favorite Florida State traditions, but there are many more that are celebrated and that continue to be established over the years. The positive atmosphere and school spirit on campus have everything to do with the traditions that Florida State has to offer. These special traditions are one of the many reasons why I feel grateful to have spent the last four years here! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Sarah Wagner is a Staff Writer for Florida State University's Her Campus Chapter. She writes articles every other week about lifestyle, personal experiences, entertainment & culture, and FSU campus life. She is thrilled to be a part of Her Campus this semester! Sarah is a first-generation, Colombian/Brazilian college student double majoring in English (Editing, Writing, and Media) and Psychology. She is an avid reader and book lover, and is currently interning for independent press book publisher Dzanc Books where she is learning lots about the book publishing industry. If she's not cozied up reading a book, she is spending time with her family and friends!