Life > Academics

A Senior’s Guide to Favorite Courses At FSU

As the end of the spring semester approaches, many college seniors are filled with a sense of nostalgia for their time at university. As a senior at Florida State University, I can’t help but reflect on the unique academic experience that this university has to offer. One of the things that sets FSU apart is the vast array of classes you can choose from, spanning from the traditional to the eccentric. As I prepare to bid farewell to this institution, I can’t help but reminisce about some of the memorable classes that have shaped my academic career and made my time at FSU truly unforgettable.

REL1300

The first class that comes to mind is Introduction to World Religions (REL1300). This course was my very first at FSU, and it left an indelible mark on my academic journey. As someone who has always been fascinated with learning about different religions, I found this class to be the perfect fit. We delved into the intricacies of religions from all corners of the world, from Western religions to Eastern religions to New Age Religious Movements, and more. What impressed me the most about this course was how it opened my eyes to the impact that religion has on people’s lives, influencing their thoughts, dress, and even the food they eat. Through this class, I developed a deeper understanding and appreciation for the world around me. It challenged me to think critically and compassionately, and I came out of the course a better person. With a workload that was not too heavy, Introduction to World Religions is an excellent course to add to your schedule, especially if you want to gain a better understanding of society and the world at large.

CHD2220

The second class that I highly recommend is Child Growth and Development (CHD2220). This course focuses on how children grow and develop, and was taught by one of the most influential professors I have ever had at FSU, Dr. Krantz. He drew from his own experiences and real-life examples to illustrate the course material, making it easy to see the practical application of what we were learning. While the course was heavily lecture-based, Dr. Krantz’s lectures were so captivating that I found myself eagerly attending each one. I believe that this course is fundamental to life, whether you plan on starting a family, working with children, or just want to gain a better understanding of human development. It is truly a worthwhile course that will teach you more than you ever thought possible.

PAD4433

The third course that I would recommend is Women, Disasters and Conflicts (PAD4433). This course was eye-opening, as it explored how women are affected by conflict and war, and how they shape policies and incentives for peace in male-dominated government systems. The content of the course was heavy, focusing on topics such as gender violence, human trafficking, and sexual assault. However, for those who have a passion for learning about human rights and how women have shaped the world, this course is an excellent choice. It is not for the faint of heart, but it will leave you with a deeper understanding of the struggles that many women around the world face.

FRT3561

Lastly, if you are a lover of literature, I highly recommend French Women Writers (FRT3561). This course, taught by the wonderful Dr. Virginia Osborn, is a celebration of the literary contributions of French women writers throughout the centuries. You will read various books with different writing styles and concepts, and engage in open discussion and the free expression of ideas and interpretations. The course is perfect for those who love reading and want to learn new perspectives. Through this course, I discovered a new favorite book, The Lover by Marguerite Duras. I would never have come across this book if it wasn’t for this course.

From wine tasting to self-defense classes about Harry Potter, FSU truly has something for everyone.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I am a senior at Florida State University majoring in International Affairs with a concentration in Public Administration. A fun fact about me is I was born on Valentine's Day. I find happiness through small things like reading, listening to podcasts, and nature!