Great Smoky Mountains
Great Smoky Mountains
Photo by Sophie Roguski

What a Trip With FSU’s Outdoor Pursuits Program Is Really Like

Florida State University has so many clubs, amenities, and opportunities for students to enjoy, one of which is Outdoor Pursuits (OP). I was finally able to attend an OP trip last semester and had so much fun! It’s an adventure program that immerses students in nature anywhere from local Tallahassee spots to locations all over the Southeast. OP trip leaders are FSU students who organize and curate memorable excursions for other FSU students to enjoy. Activities include kayaking, hiking, camping, biking and so much more!

I was fortunate enough to secure a spot for a camping trip to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park last November. In just three days, my trip leaders Kate, Chanti, and Colby were able to fit in so many different fun activities for our group of 10. Considering the amount of equipment and transportation that OP provided to us, my registration fee was such a good deal!

With an early start, my group and I embarked on the many hours-long drive from Tallahassee to the park in a van proudly sporting an OP sticker. Playing a carefully curated playlist made by the whole group, excitedly chatting about the trip ahead, and getting to know each other made the drive go by surprisingly quickly.

Before I knew it, I was frantically reaching for my fuzzy socks and gloves to brave the fall weather, because as a Florida girl born and raised, 30 degrees might as well be a blizzard.

Driving through the park to our campsite, we saw beautiful views and had our first peek of the Smoky Mountains. The orange, yellow, and red leaves were picturesque alongside the creek waterfalls and winding roads upwards.

Once we arrived, our trip leaders guided us in helping them set up our tents, doled out sleeping bags and mats, showed us around the site, and prepped us for the hike we would take in the morning. The night finished around the campfire before we all went to bed for our early start the next day.

That next day, we headed toward the Indian Flats Falls trail where we spent our day. It was a moderate uphill hike along a rock and gravel trail, following a creek. It was miles long but accompanied by scenic views and good company. The final stretch was when the hike got steep and narrow on the mountainside, forcing us into a single file, before opening up to a waterfall where we sat and ate lunch.

After trekking back and experiencing the hike all over again (though thankfully downhill this time), our trip leaders surprised us with a spontaneous trip to Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Thrilled to be in the home of Dolly Parton, I saw the city in all of its Christmas-decorated glamour. We walked through the Bavarian-inspired shopping center, ate some real Tennessee barbeque (and were filled in on the latest hometown drama by our waitress), and saw a real Appalachian family band, singing “Rocky Top” of course.

After a failed yet still hilarious attempt to scare the other OP group that was on the same trip as us, we went to bed to get some rest before our final hike. The next morning, we drove to the North Carolina side of the Smoky Mountains park to walk the short, yet steep path to Clingmans Dome.

The highest point of the Appalachian trail to the dome overlooked two different states and provided breathtaking mountain views… and elevation. There were so many pine trees that all I could smell was Christmas as we walked around before heading back for the long drive home. Although there were many stops at gift shops throughout the trip, this was where we all received a National Park stamp, which was my first but an addition to vast collections for others.

All in all, I cannot recommend taking an FSU Outdoor Pursuits trip enough! I had a great time thanks to the preparation and care of my trip leaders. Every semester, there are dozens of trips lined up for students to register for, and not only are they fun, but they’re a great way to get involved with FSU both on and off campus. You’re sure to receive all the equipment and safety that you need no matter if it’s just a day trip or an overnight one. Overall, FSU OP trips are an opportunity worth taking!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Sophie Roguski is a Junior at Florida State University, majoring in International Affairs, with a minor in Hospitality Management. She loves romcoms, celebrity gossip, and has a strong desire to travel more.