FSU football players celebrating their win
Photo by Tyler Pottenburgh

A Love Letter to the 2023 Florida State Football Team

The roar of the crowd within Doak Campbell Stadium, the nervous (but excited) energy buzzing throughout the stands, and the wild embraces that we’d give our friends after FSU scored a touchdown are definitive of the 2023 Florida State football season. It provided us with a space to get away from all our troubles and stresses for a few hours. It was an escape for so many people. It was a place where people of all ages, races, and walks of life could come together to experience and celebrate history in the making. 

Very early on, you had to adjust because of injuries and unexpected lineup changes. From the seasoned veterans to the fresh-faced rookies, you all stepped up and contributed your unique talents to the game. However, it was never just about individual skills, but the collective spirit of our team. As the season unfolded, you transformed the adversity that you faced with dignity and used this as a chance to adapt. Our younger players had a breakout year, while the returning players showcased a level of skill and determination that left us wanting more. It was never just about winning games; you gave your all and brought so much joy to the school, which is all we could’ve ever asked for. 

The sacrifices that you made to get to this point are awe-inspiring and show how much this sport truly means to you. From the moment you made your first major play during flag football as a child, to doing your homework on your way to games in middle school, to waking up extra early in high school for conditioning, to spending a large portion of your day running routes and perfecting plays to ensure you perform at the highest level here at Florida State, you have proven time after time the challenges that come with being a D1 athlete. Throughout your long journey that brought you to this point, you’ve carried yourself with unwavering resilience and grace. 

In addition to your perseverance, your support system’s steadfast determination to see you succeed played a major role in where you are today, and we are so grateful for the support they’ve shown you. Whether it was your mom driving you to all your practices between her hectic schedule, your dad picking up extra hours at work to buy your new pads, your siblings and friends throwing the football around with you in the backyard, your grandparents carefully climbing the metal bleachers to watch every game or the fiery pre-game speeches delivered by your coaches, these consequential events contributed to the perfection we witnessed by the team this year. These things don’t just happen. It’s the culmination of a million different aspects that made it possible, and for this, we must acknowledge your family and friends, the team, the coaches, and the school. 

You proved everyone wrong week after week. You gave us your best every single Saturday. The campus crackled with excitement all fall because of your dedication, and we loved every single minute of it. The class you showed when faced with adversity inspired us. The heart with which you played brought us such joy. We didn’t get the news we hoped for — or deserved — regarding the playoffs, but the memories we made this season have been priceless. You, 2023 Florida State Seminoles, have given our school and its fans the experience of a lifetime. You will always be our champions. What a ride it’s been! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hello! My name is Elle Lazare, and I’m from Rockledge, Florida! I’m a Psychology major at Florida State University. I love playing tennis, reading books, attending all of the football games at FSU, and watching horror movies. I’m so excited to be a member of Her Campus and cannot wait to share my writing with you all!