Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Universal Pictures

Your Guide to FSU Panhellenic Sororities’ Philanthropies and Events

One thing Florida State University is known for is its Greek life. When saying that, many people think of the parties and the recruitment process, but what I think about is philanthropy. FSU Panhellenic sororities each have at least one specific philanthropy for which they raise money and awareness every year. Each chapter hosts events every semester, and some of the events are iconic to their chapters. Here, I’m going to recount each sorority’s philanthropies and some of the events they host for it. 

Alpha Chi Omega

Alpha Chi Omega’s philanthropy is Domestic Violence Awareness. They passionately spread awareness of domestic abuse and educate others about this topic. Not only do they raise money, but they also have the opportunity to volunteer at the local Tallahassee Refuge House, which provides a safe space for domestic violence survivors. 

In the fall semester, they host Donuts for DVA, a dessert night at their chapter facility. They also host the DVA Gala. In the spring, they host Pizza Pie with Alpha Chi and Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, an event where people walk a mile in heels. 

Alpha Delta Pi

Alpha Delta Pi’s philanthropy is the Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) and the Alpha Delta Pi Foundation. The Ronald McDonald House Charities provides a safe living space for families who are far away from home and caring for a child with a severe illness. They are a “home away from home, where families stay while their children undergo extensive medical treatment,” according to RMHC Tallahassee.

To raise funds to support these organizations, they host various events including their annual Pis and Powderpuff, where they host a powderpuff flag football competition. Each sorority puts together a team to compete in a tournament-style flag football game, while fraternities put together a cheer routine to perform at the halftime show. This event is a great way to experience Doak Campbell Stadium when it’s not full on game days. They also recently hosted Pis and Pickleball, where they hosted a pickleball tournament. 

Alpha Gamma Delta 

Alpha Gamma Delta raises both money and awareness for Fighting Hunger. They teach people about food insecurity, not just across the United States, but right here in our local Leon County community. They host a BBQ Bash and the Alpha Gam Dinner every year. You can get some yummy food at the Alpha Gam House! Along with hosting events, they volunteer with various organizations including the Kearney Center and the FSU Food For Thought Pantry. 

Alpha Omicron Pi

Alpha Omicron Pi has two different philanthropies. Their international philanthropy is the Arthritis Foundation, where they raise money and awareness for arthritis (specifically juvenile arthritis). They host their Strike Out Arthritis event in the spring. Their local philanthropy is Sisters for Soldiers, which benefits the Student Veterans Association. They also host a Valentine’s Day rose sale. 

Alpha Phi

Alpha Phi’s philanthropy is The Alpha Phi Foundation and Women’s Heart Health. They host many events including Alpha Phreeze (an all-you-can-eat ice cream event), Mac and Phis (an all-you-can-eat mac & cheese dinner), and their Mr. Heartthrob Sweetheart Competition. They also host blood drives on campus occasionally, as well as the Red Dress Gala. Alpha Phi has donated and received the Alpha Phi Foundation Wing in the Tallahassee Memorial Heart and Vascular Center. They also have annual CPR and defibrillator certification lessons at their house so sisters can learn these life-saving methods. 

Chi Omega

Chi Omega raises money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. They host a kickball tournament called Chi-O-Kickball and are hosting a pickleball tournament called the Chi Open on Nov. 10. Last year they were able to raise $41,500 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and were even able to grant four wishes! 

Delta Delta Delta

Delta Delta Delta has two philanthropies very dear to them. They fundraise for the St. Jude Children’s Hospital along with Maura’s Voice. Five years ago, a Tri Delta sister named Maura Binkley passed away after a shooting at Hot Yoga Tallahassee, along with another member of the yoga class, Dr. Nancy Van Vessem. Maura’s Voice was founded in Maura’s memory. The organization “strive to learn as much as possible about violent acts and how to prevent them.” The sorority hosted a memorial in her honor on Nov. 2, the fifth anniversary of her death. 

For the St. Jude Children’s Hospital, Tri Delta hosts various philanthropy events including Delta Dodgeball, DHOP (which hosts unlimited pancakes and a pancake eating competition), and Sweets for St. Jude. 

Delta Gamma

Delta Gamma’s philanthropy is Service For Sight. Every year they host their iconic Anchor Splash competition, where fraternities create and perform a synchronized swimming routine for a very entertained crowd. All proceeds from this event and many others go to Service For Sight, which supports four schools founded by Delta Gamma for visually impaired students. 

Delta Zeta

Delta Zeta fundraises for The Starkey Hearing Foundation, which helps people in more than 100 countries be able to hear. They also fundraise for the American Society for Deaf Children, which was created by parents for parents of deaf children to provide proper education and resources along with an inclusive environment. They have hosted many events including their recently DZ on the Block party, which had many different food trucks available, and a Fraternity Feud event to finish their sweetheart competition, Mr. DZireable. 

Gamma Phi Beta

Gamma Phi Beta’s philanthropies are Building Strong Girls and Girls On The Run. They host events like Moonball, a super fun volleyball tournament, and a Girls On The Run 5K.

Kappa Alpha Theta

Kappa Alpha Theta’s philanthropy is Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA). This is a volunteer advocacy program for children and teens who have experienced abuse or neglect. They raise money through events like Let’s Do Brunch and Cookout for CASA. 

Kappa Delta

Kappa Delta has two international philanthropies and one local philanthropy. The international philanthropies are Prevent Child Abuse America (PCAA) and the Girl Scouts. During cookie season, you will often see a local Girl Scouts troop stationed outside their house selling cookies. The local philanthropy is the Children’s Home Society in Tallahassee. They host multiple events like Color Me KD which is a color run, and a golf tournament called KD on the Greens. 

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Kappa Kappa Gamma’s philanthropy is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and the KKG Foundation. They have hosted various events including Kappa Karnival, Kappa Koffee & Goats, and Let’s TACO bout NAMI, a taco dinner event. They partner with FSU’s NAMI chapter to educate and advocate for mental illness awareness.

Phi Mu

Phi Mu benefits the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. One of the major events they host is Mu Madness, which is a huge basketball competition that ends with their sweetheart competition. 

Pi Beta Phi

Pi Beta Phi’s philanthropy is Read > Lead > Achieve. They have a Champions are Readers program where they read to local elementary schools. Their most popular events are All Fraternity Revenue in the fall and Pi Phi’s Phinest in the spring. 

Sigma Delta Tau

Sigma Delta Tau raises money through events like Pies for Prevention (a delicious pizza dinner) and Can You Take the Heat, a fun wings night for Prevent Child Abuse America (PCAA).  

Zeta Tau Alpha

Zeta Tau Alpha’s philanthropy is Breast Cancer Awareness and Education. They host various events including ZTA Race2Live, a 5k, their annual PinktoberFest, and even have a pink out game where you can see people wearing pink to gameday. 

Each sorority has its important philanthropy, but my favorite part is seeing how they each support one another in raising funds to make the world a better place. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Jessica is a junior at Florida State University studying Retail Entrepreneurship. She is from Hollywood, FL and in Alpha Omicron Pi.