You’re on your way to class. Everything seems normal. Suddenly, you feel one rain droplet hit your shoulder. Next thing you know, you’re dodging puddles and wishing you’d brought an umbrella. That’s when the Tallahassee sky decides to unleash its worst: thunder, lightning, and more. When bad weather hits, you need to be prepared to survive what will be a weekly occurrence at FSU: the dreaded thunderstorm. 

No one is coming to save you

As you make the trek uphill, wondering what you’ve done to deserve the torrential downpour, remember this: everyone passing by you in their car feels sorry for you, but will ultimately go right on with their life. While they’d like to help, they really can’t stop because they’ll be late for class. You’d also get their seats wet, and we can’t have that.

A weather update will come too little, too late

We all love the endless barrage of emails that flood our inboxes daily. However, be prepared to receive even more when weather updates warn you of a thunderstorm sweeping the area. You will receive this email about 10 to 15 minutes after you have already gotten drenched and your phone has stopped working.

teachers will not cancel class

Cancel class? In this economy? Not on your tuition dollar. Despite the crackling thunder and the weirdly high amount of metal poles near you, teachers will not see this as a justifiable reason to cancel class. There’s a tight schedule to be followed, and you should know what you’re getting into when you decide to go to school in Florida. More importantly, teachers have already made the commute to school, and driving back would be a waste of gas.

getting wet is inevitable

None of us can be The Flash. No matter how fast you run, you cannot outrun the weather. It will find you. Students who think they can beat the rain are never heard from again. Prepare your socks for the worst, because things are about to get uncomfortable.

all rooms are up for grabs

You can’t be too picky during a thunderstorm. The primary objective should be to escape the rain at all costs and limit your risk of exposure. That coffee house you didn’t care for because it would never be as good as Starbucks? Suddenly, you’re their number one customer. Doing whatever it takes to get out of the storm’s line of vision will go a long way.

Feel free to cry

Whether you’re upset because your parents just don’t understand you, your leg is cramping from the third flight of stairs you’ve had to climb, or you just like the aesthetic of crying in the rain, a thunderstorm is the time to let all those emotions out. Timing is everything, and there’s no better time than when it’s literally pouring, and no one can tell the difference between a tear and a raindrop. I myself have taken advantage of this unique opportunity. Little do your classmates know that the raindrops sliding down your face are actually a result of the teacher who just posted exam grades on Canvas.

the sun will be back shortly

Just as quickly as the storm comes, it fades away. Is that how the saying goes? Oh, well. Know that the seemingly endless torrents of rain are usually all bluster. Most storms only last 30 minutes. So, take heart, FSU students. The worst is already behind you… most of the time.

There are few things worse than being in class as you watch clouds roll in and hear a crack of thunder. There’s no avoiding it: sometimes you’re going to be stuck on campus, in the rain, and unprepared. Seriously, try to pack an umbrella. You never know when the next one is coming. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Havilah Sciabbarrasi is a senior at Florida State University and working toward a degree in Editing, Writing, and Media (AKA English). She is the current editor-in-chief of The Kudzu Review, an undergraduate literary magazine that takes submissions in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and visual art from students all over the country. When she's not busy writing her hot takes on all things campus, entertainment, and books, she can usually be found romanticizing New York, ranting on Goodreads, or rooting through the bins at her local Goodwill.