Style > Decor

10 Ways To Decorate Your Dorm Room for Christmas

As December begins, so does the start of the Christmas season, so it’s the perfect time to decorate if you haven’t yet! College students may only spend a few weeks of December in their dorms (and they’ll be spent preparing for finals), but decorating your dorm for Christmas is a great way to get into the holiday spirit. For those who live in a dorm, finding ways to decorate may be difficult, but I have 10 tips to make your room look festive for the holiday season. 

1. ornaments

When I think of Christmas decorations, my mind goes to hanging up ornaments on a Christmas tree. You likely won’t have space in a dorm room for a full Christmas tree, but you can still hang up ornaments all around your room! An easy way to get into the holiday spirit is by buying or making homemade ornaments to hang around your dorm.

2. Christmas Lights

Another easy way to decorate your dorm is to hang up Christmas lights! If you already have fairy lights, LED lights, or any other kind of light hanging in your room, then you could easily swap those out for more festive lights for the Christmas season, or just add your Christmas lights on top.

3. Mini Christmas tree

While you likely can’t fit a Christmas tree in your dorm, a mini Christmas tree is the perfect decoration to make your dorm more cozy this holiday season. A mini Christmas tree from Target fits perfectly on my desk, and you could also place your little tree anywhere you have space in your dorm.

4. wreath

A Christmas wreath is the perfect decoration that could go inside or outside of your dorm room. You could hang a decorative wreath outside on your door or somewhere you have space on your dorm room wall. A Christmas wreath is a classic decoration, and seeing one always puts me in the holiday spirit.

5. window stickers

One of my favorite decorations is the sticky window decorations that stick onto windows and mirrors. Window stickers can be used for any holiday, and you can buy packs from stores like Walmart. Sticking Christmas stickers onto your dorm room mirror or windows is an easy and cheap way to decorate and make your room look cute.

6. stockings

Christmas stockings are a cute and simple decoration for your dorm room. While stockings traditionally go over a fireplace, you can hang them anywhere in your dorm and still get the cozy holiday vibes. You can get stockings in a variety of colors and sizes. My roommate and I have mini stockings with our first initials embroidered that we hung by our desks. 

7. Christmas mugs

Cute Christmas mugs are a staple item and perfect to use as both décor and to drink out of. You can buy a cute Christmas-themed mug to drink your coffee, hot chocolate, or drink of choice and have it serve as a decoration. I have seen Christmas mugs shaped as gingerbread men, snowmen, and Santa at stores like Target and T.J. Maxx. Other Christmas mugs could be shaped like a tree or have Christmas colors or pictures on them. A mug is the perfect décor to add to your dorm room and you get multiple uses out of it.

8. scent diffuser sticks

Scent diffuser sticks with scents that remind you of Christmas are a great addition to your dorm room decor. Since burning candles is a fire hazard and unsafe for a dorm room, having scent diffuser sticks is a great substitute. You can buy sticks in scents like apple, cinnamon, or any scent that reminds you of the holiday season.

9. Christmas bedding

A decorative throw pillow or Christmas blanket is an easy way to decorate, and you get cozy bedding out of it! Wrapping up in a Christmas blanket and drinking hot chocolate is one of my favorite ways to celebrate the holiday season. A cute pillow or blanket serves as both Christmas décor and your bedding, so it’s the perfect decoration.

10. tinsel and garland

Hanging up tinsel and garland is a cheap and easy way to make your dorm look merry and bright. You can get tinsel and garland in festive colors like green, red, gold, silver, or whatever colors you would like. This is an easy way to get into the Christmas spirit, and you can hang tinsel and garland around your room.

Decorating for the holiday season is lots of fun. While you may only be in your dorm for the first few weeks of December, you can still decorate to get into the Christmas spirit while you tackle finals! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Abigail Botsford is a freshman at FSU majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Communication. This is her second semester in Her Campus and she is on Media Staff. Outside of Her Campus, Abigail is involved in the honors program, Best Buddies, and FSU's Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter. In her free time, Abigail enjoys going to the beach, reading, and spending time with friends.