Culture > News

World Reacts to Death of Migos Member Takeoff

In the early hours of Nov. 1, Takeoff (born Kirshnik Khari Ball) was fatally shot outside a bowling alley in Houston, which he was attending with his uncle, Quavo. Although police officials have yet to come forth with exact details, it is speculated the rapper’s death resulted from an altercation taking place that surged into shots being fired, although Takeoff was not the intended target.

Takeoff’s music label Quality Control has come forth to post a saddening statement cementing the certainty of Ball’s passing. Outpours from celebrities and rap users alike have flooded social media with disbelief and condolences following the fatal news.

“Today I lost more than a brother. My twin my best friend everything, I don’t wanna believe it I can’t,” rapper Rich the Kid mourned in an Instagram post on Tuesday. “He most humble person I know we used to share shoes and clothes before we made it with no problem! I miss you already you didn’t deserve that!! I can’t stop crying I love you so much bro forever.”

Takeoff rose to fame with the hip-hop group Migos which consisted of him, his cousin Offset and uncle Quavo who all are from Lawrenceville, Georgia. They entered the rap arena with “Versace” which reached Billboard 100 and the craze only escalated when Drake was featured in it. The trio took off in 2016 when their song “Bad and Boujee” went on to become a four-time platinum hit, sealing the deal as a household name in the rap industry. Migos released four studio albums during their time together with popular features of other rappers like 21 Savage, Travis Scott, Big Sean and more. The three of them would go on to do solo projects but still worked with each other frequently, such as the Only Built for Infinity Links album co-made by Takeoff and Quavo that was released recently in October of 2022, not even a month old yet.

Takeoff’s death is felt around the world, notably by other rappers who were close to Ball and are appalled at the passing of their friend. “It goes without saying that I’m brokenhearted and confused this morning. But I have to say Take is a one-of-a-kind friend that would always acknowledge you, always make sure you were good, and would always tell you to keep God first,” artist Chance the Rapper grieved in a recent tweet on November afternoon. “Man I wish I had more time to see u on this earth.”

“I got the best memories of all of us seeing the world together and bringing light to every city we touch. That’s what I’ll focus on for now,” friend and rap collaborator Drake says in an Instagram tribute to Takeoff. “Rest easy space man Take.”

Takeoff leaves behind his family, most notably Quavo and Offset, friends and his brokenhearted fans who are still shocked by the revelation of his death. Friends close to Takeoff remember him as a humbled, goodhearted soul who would never let you down. Authorities continue to ask for help with the investigation to get justice for Takeoff.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Mia Rampersad is a sophomore at FSU studying Creative Writing. She enjoys reading, exercising, and fashion.