How To Enjoy the Super Bowl as a Non-Sports Fan

As we all know, Super Bowl Sunday (Feb. 11) is just around the corner. Whether you’re not into sports, or you’re like me and the two teams you liked least ended up in the championship, that doesn’t mean you have to hide away while the rest of America is watching the game. I’ve come up with a few non-sports-related aspects of the Super Bowl for you to focus on this Sunday so that you can still take part in the fun.

Food

Super Bowl food is basically a bunch of side dishes, which is why chili and pigs in a blanket are considered the “main” courses. Pretty much every type of bar food imaginable is fair game (no pun intended) at a Super Bowl party. French fries, nachos, chicken wings — if it’s greasy and/or cheesy, it’s getting eaten at a Super Bowl watch party.

There’s always a massive dip section which is just amazing: buffalo chicken dip, guacamole, salsa, spinach and artichoke, hummus, and veggies. If you can think of a dip, chances are it will be at the party. If you can’t tell, I’m a big dip enthusiast, so hopefully I’ve inspired you to make a dip of your own!

We can’t forget about dessert! Cookies, cupcakes, and brownies are a must. If you’re into baking, it’s fun to decorate your baked goods in support of your team. I’ve included a picture for inspo!

Commercials

For millions of Americans, the Super Bowl commercials are the sole reason they tune into the game every year. I think the Super Bowl is the only time I get excited for commercial breaks. 

You can count on a funny, light-hearted ad from Doritos and Tostitos. There’s bound to be an inspirational commercial, maybe from Dove or Always, promoting feminism or women in sports (I always love to see those). The car commercials, which are typically my least favorite types of ads, always step up their game for the Super Bowl. I know we all remember the Kia Soul hamster commercial from 2010.

For those Super Bowl commercial lovers, you can play commercial bingo. Make a bingo chart and fill it in with actors you think will make an appearance and specific brands that will run an ad. You can also add types of commercials like political, sappy, funny, etc. Get everyone to fill out their boards with whatever they want (I’m going to assume we all know how to play bingo). 

Halftime Show

We can’t forget about the halftime show. Growing up, I was never really into football. It was only after coming to FSU that I became a fan (go Noles!). The only part of the Super Bowl that I always watched was the halftime show. Needless to say, I’m very excited to hear all of Usher’s throwback hits.

This year, Usher is headlining alongside Reba McEntire, Post Malone, Andra Day, and Tiësto. This is an interesting group of artists, to say the least. I’m excited to see the mix between 2010-era pop, country, rap, R&B/soul, and techno/house. Usher is a great performer, and I can’t wait to see the type of show these different types of artists will put on.

If after reading my suggestions you still aren’t convinced to go to a Super Bowl party or have your own, that’s okay! This Sunday can be for rest and relaxation. Do a face mask, make some tea, and watch your favorite guilty pleasure Netflix show. Go to sleep early and be well-rested for the start of the week!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Madison is a sophomore at FSU studying Public Relations. She is from New York and loves hiking, running, and pretty much anything outdoors! Madison is also passionate about environmentalism and sustainability, meaning she loves a good thrift store. After spending her first year abroad, travel has become a huge part of her life which she hopes to incorporate into her career.