Gen Z on the Frontlines of the 2023 Spiritual Movement

While only in the second month of 2023, Gen Z has made steady appearances in the headlines for the spiritual revival they have sparked. From the 2023 Asbury University Revival to a Christian indie rap song making the charts, all the way to celebrity singer Joshua Bassett’s recent pop-up service, many Christian teenagers and young adults are at the edge of their seats to see what else this year has to hold.

At the beginning of the year Forrest Frank and Hulvey release their collaborative single “no longer bound” after only a couple of weeks of promotion. By Jan. 31, the song had reached No. 3 on Spotify’s Viral 50 Chart in the U.S. The Internet fell in love with the song’s catchy beat, comparing it to music from the duo Surfaces, only to find out Forrest Frank is one half of the band. This achievement received great praise, promoting more Christian indie music and artists. Additionally, it seemed to only fuel the fire for teenagers and young adults in the faith.

What started as a couple of students lingering to worship after chapel on Feb. 8, grew into a movement spreading to colleges around the U.S. and abroad. Students at Asbury University in Kentucky stayed after a service to continue worshipping and this encouraged others to join, eventually leading to continuous 24-hour worship for 17 days straight. This almost three-week period brought an estimated 15,000+ to the campus to experience it all for themselves. What became known as the “Asbury Revival” went viral on TikTok where hundreds shared footage of their time at the services.

This spiritual awakening has spread to several other colleges as well. Samford University and Lee University have reported similar occurrences at their campuses. Students have noted how spontaneous and organic their experiences have been, emphasizing how spirit-led the worship and prayer are for them. Although the 24-hour services have stopped at Asbury, the effects and testimonies have influenced many other college students to start revivals of their own in their communities. This spiritual movement has also touched more than just a local college, and it’s manifesting itself in Hollywood as well.

Joshua Bassett, singer, and actor best known for his role in High School Musical: The Musical: The Series has recently opened up heavily about his religious beliefs. Amidst the controversy online from both spectators and fans alike over the sincerity of faith, Bassett has not wavered.

After a hard launch of his turn to Christianity in January, Bassett got baptized and hosted a spontaneous pop-up event in Los Angeles where he led worship and shared his testimony. Many online have speculations about his involvement with Bethel Church, however, Joshua stated in a tweet: “…i was unaware of some of their policies and beliefs, and do not endorse all of them,” and it hasn’t been confirmed they sponsored his pop-up service either.

Fans who attended the event shared pictures and videos as Bassett sang along to worship songs, and shared his journey with his faith. In a clip recalling his friendship with Christian Garcia who played a role in said journey, Basset says, “He was like can I pray for you later? I was like can you pray for me now?”

Gen Z has spent a lot of time in the shadow of older generations and hasn’t been tied to any major religious movements within the last few years, however, 2023 is looking to be a game-changer. Although the year has just begun, it’s evident that this generation of young adults is strong in their faith and is contributing heavily to a modern and more loving portrayal of religion.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm a second-year majoring in Public Relations. I'm an avid writer, although my niche is my personal column that recommends songs and new upcoming artists. I love making Spotify playlists, Pinterest poetry and all things Taylor Swift!