BTS performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS

Apo! Bangpo! BTS Will Be Back!

With their chart-topping hits and the loving support of their doting fandom, BTS has remained the topic of conversation for years now. This week is no different, as the South Korean superstars announced on Oct. 17 that all seven members would enlist in the military and will reconvene as a full group in 2025. This news came out only a few days after BTS’ free ‘Yet to Come’ concert in Busan, South Korea on Oct. 15. As BTS were recently named as ambassadors for the 2030 World Expo, this show was put on to support South Korea’s bid.

As a result of the South Korean conscription system, which was created in 1948, all men between the ages of 18 and 28 must serve 18 months or more in the military. Debates surrounding this topic have been held for years, as fans and government officials alike wondered if BTS would be exempted from this because of the services that they have provided to their country. In 2020, the year that the oldest member, Jin, turned 28, South Korea passed a ‘BTS Law,’ which enabled certain K-Pop idols to postpone their service until the age of 30. In addition to bringing in over $3.6 billion to the South Korean economy in 2018, it is believed that they would have brought in $29.4 billion to their country from 2014–2023. Therefore, BTS’ enlistment will cost South Korea quite a bit of money.

Those who are unfamiliar with BTS may be surprised by the origin of their name, as it stands for ‘Bangtan Sonyeondan.’ In Korean, this name translates to ‘Bulletproof Boy Scouts,’ which signifies their desire to brush off all negative critiques and focus on themselves. BTS debuted in June 2013 with “No More Dream” and has topped Billboard charts with English hits like “Dynamite” and “Butter.”

ARMY, the name for BTS’ fans all over the world, are drawn to this septet (RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, Taehyung and Jungkook) for their clever lyrics, tear-inducing honesty and remarkable bond with one another and their support system. Members of ARMY often mention that BTS feels like their family, as they find comfort in their virtual company. Collecting albums, connecting with other fans on social media platforms and decorating their walls to showcase their favorite memories with the group are just a few of the ways that ARMY show their support.

When the news of the enlistment broke, ARMY took to social media to send their well wishes to the seven and express their disappointment at their leaving. After the 2020 ‘Map of the Soul Tour’ was postponed due to the pandemic, many fans were hoping for a world tour announcement in the near future. As the oldest, Jin will be the first to leave soon after the release of his new single, “The Astronaut,” which will be released on Oct. 28.

On June 10, BTS released their first anthology album, Proof, a reminiscent glimpse at the history of their group. Not long after this, during their 2022 BTS Festa YouTube video on June 14, they announced that they would begin to focus more on their solo activities. This emotional hour-long video showcased all the traits that BTS is well-known for: truthful explanations of their thought processes and light-hearted teasing. After this video was released, ARMY flooded Twitter with clips of Jungkook’s famous phrase from their Permission to Dance tour: “This is not gonna be the last time.”

BTS has successfully worked to make a prominent name for themselves within the music industry. They are now considered the most popular K-Pop group in the world, closely followed by artists like BLACKPINK, Seventeen and NCT. The work that they do is never taken for granted by ARMY, who shower them with praise and stream their music.

‘Apo Bangpo,’ the phrase used in this article’s title, roughly translates to ‘ARMY Forever, Bangtan Forever.’ This touching expression, which symbolizes the deep connection between the artists and their supporters, is currently being referenced on social media to soothe anxious fans’ heartaches.

RM’s words during the ‘Yet to Come’ concert are also being used to bring peace: “If the seven BTS members feel the same way and if you guys have faith in us, we will overcome whatever happens to us in the future and we will perform with you guys and make music. Please have faith in us.”

During this time, ARMY can catch up on old content from BTS, including Run BTS, Bon Voyage and In the Soop. They may also choose to spend their time relistening to old and new music from the group, including J-Hope’s debut solo album, Jack in the Box, which can be found on all streaming platforms.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Chai tea and K-Pop are all I need to survive.