This year was the 64th annual Grammy Awards with highly anticipated performances from artists like Billie Eilish, Oliva Rodrigo and BTS. After the past two years, this year’s Grammys was something many people were looking forward to—giving them a sense of normalcy. Further on are overall descriptions of numerous Grammy performances. 

Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak make up the duo Silk Sonic. Silk Sonic debuted in 2021 with their single, “Leave the Door Open.” Their performance at the Grammys was shining gold with hints of Las Vegas culture throughout the set. They performed their single “777” from their album An Evening With Silk Sonic. The amazing stage presence was matched with their white bejeweled jumpsuits that really portrayed the 70s vibes that they were going for. 

Olivia Rodrigo performed her hit single “drivers license” from her hit album Sour. She wore a white dress with asymmetrical ruffles on the bottom accompanied by fishnets and black boots. Olivia has received criticism in the past due to her live singing not quite being as good as the recorded version, but it seems Olivia has improved. She was still shaky on some high notes but considering she is only 19 years old and already performing at the Grammys it is probably due to some nerves. Other than that, her stage presence was still powerful as she sang her heart out to a simple yet beautiful song. 

Billie Eilish was able to perform her song “Happier Than Ever” from her album of the same name. As usual, she was wearing a black oversized printed tee with black pants. Billie’s performance started off slow with her set resembling an upside-down house submerged in water. But it quickly kicks off for the chorus with a fabulous light show and even an accompanied rain shower. Billie’s stage presence was relaxed and in her element as she appeared to feel comfortable as if she was performing for an everyday crowd. 

H.E.R. performed multiple songs; one of them being her own song “Damage” from her album Back of My Mind, a song by Herb Alpert titled “Making Love in the Rain” and a song titled “Are You Gonna Go My Way” by Lenny Kravits. Her outfit was one to remember as she started off with a long purple sequin dress that transformed into a purple sequin pantsuit. H.E.R. has an amazing stage presence that was further excelled due to the guests that joined her, Travis Barker, Lenny Kravitz and others. She also had a classic drum solo where white paint was poured on the drums to create a splatter effect as she hit. 

BTS performed their hit single “Butter” but put a twist spy theme on it. The performance was complete with lasers, card tricks and great choreography. Each member wore their own all-black suit with slight variations between them. Some of the most memorable moments of the performance were when member V had an impromptu flirtatious moment with Olivia Rodrigo and when member Jungkook came down from the ceiling at the beginning of the performance. The unique aspect of BTS’ performance was their all-new dance break that took place during the middle of the single. 

Lil Nas X performed a variety of his singles from his album titled MONTERO, including “DEAD RIGHT NOW”, “MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)” and “INDUSTRY BABY.” For each song, Lil Nas X had a costume change. He started with a black sparkly jumpsuit with an attached cape, changed into a crop top made of gems with black plants and ended with marching band attire with the color scheme of black and white and was of course sparkly as well. A performance highlight for many was the compilation of hate messages Lil Nas X has received throughout his career which proves his talent. 

The 64th annual Grammy was arguably a success with these talented performers hitting the stage and others who were not mentioned. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Hi! I am a student at Florida State University. My pronouns are she/they and I am a part of the LGBTQ+ community! My first and foremost goal is to share information that I feel will benefit everyone and make sure that everyone feels heard and seen.