As people have gotten more stir-crazy during quarantine, social media has introduced many new food and drink trends for people to try. One of the latest trends that has gotten everyone on TikTok wanting to attempt is whipped coffee! If you are just as clueless as I was when I first saw a picture of whipped coffee then look no further, I have all the answers for you!

The basic premises of this delicious whipped drink are that you have a cup of milk (skim, coconut, almond, whatever you prefer) and you put the whipped concoction of sugar and coffee on top. Once you get your perfect Instagram-worthy shot of the caramel-colored clouds of coffee bellowing out of your glass, you stir it all together and BAM! You have a yummy iced coffee drink! If you are interested in trying it at home, here is what you need:

• 2 tablespoons instant coffee
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar you can use
  • 2 tablespoons boiling water
  • 1 cup milk of choice (I’ve seen it with soy milk, almond, oat milk and lots of other kinds!)

Next, you will follow these steps:

1. Add all the coffee, sugar and boiling water in a bowl (you can easily double or triple this recipe). Using a hand mixer or stand mixer and whip on one of the higher speeds.
  2. Whip the entire mixture for about 2 minutes.
  3. Taste (it’ll be very strong) and add more sugar, if desired. Remember, it will be diluted with the milk!
  4. Add the coffee to a tall glass (about 8 ounces/1 cup) of your favorite milk. If you’re doing iced, add a few ice cubes, then the milk, then spoon the whipped coffee on top. If using hot, just add it to the glass.
  5. Using your spoon or straw, stir vigorously to swirl it into your milk.
  6. Enjoy!

In order to properly do my research for this piece, I made sure to make it myself! Here are a few take-aways that I had from my whipped coffee experiment:

• Make sure not to put too much milk in your cup! I am not a huge coffee lover so the first time I made my coffee, I put a lot of milk to balance out the strong taste of the whipped part, but it was not necessary!
  • It is really yummy with brown sugar!
  • Natural lighting makes your whipped coffee look even more glossy and delicious!
  • It was really good! I would definitely recommend it and I plan on making it again!

Many people have even started to put their own twists on the recipe by adding chocolate syrup on top, pumps of flavors in the milk and lots of other fun ways to make your coffee exciting! If your day of quarantine isn’t out of the ordinary, at least your coffee can be!

For a video of someone making whipped coffee, click here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Just a girl from Gulf Breeze, Florida who loves all things chocolate, rom-coms, and running!
Her Campus at Florida State University.